Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikeandcarolegill  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:25:59 PM(UTC)
mikeandcarolegill

Groups: Registered

My ice maker quit making ice. I am contemplating buying and replacing the entire ice maker myself for $125. But, is there a way to rule out the ice maker's
emitter/receiver? I'd hate to spend $125 and then find out the emitter/receiver was the problem.

Thanks for the info.!!!
Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:26:29 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Mike,

If the ice maker does fill up with water (from your previous post) but does not release the ice cubes into the ice bin, more likely the problem is a bad ice maker itself.

You can easy test the optics. Open the freezer door. Make sure the slide switch on the right side is in "On" position. Close the flapper door on the left side, make sure the optic beam path is clear, and watch the LED light on the right side. If it is steady On, the optics are fine.

In the previous post you asked if to do it yourself would be cheaper than hiring a repairman. It definitely would, even if you will replace both the ice maker ($120.98) and the optic boards ($86.23). Any service man will charge you at least $80 labor and at least (if he is really honest person) 30% markup on parts. it's about $150 more.

- The ice maker Part number: AP3182733
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply