Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tntsul  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:03:21 AM(UTC)
tntsul

Groups: Registered

hi, I have a whirlpool ED25PQXDW03 that has been acting up. a few weeks ago the ice cream was melted in freezer. the unit was not runnunig. I tapped on the rear upper of the back and it started. ran ok for a couple weeks. After the long 4th weekend we returned to find ice cream melted again. I started again by tapping on rear of frig. After emptying out machine Iput a bottle of water in freezer. Last night I noticed it was starting to melt and compressor not running. When I woke up unit was running and water was frozen. Has been running for 3-4 hours now, is cold but compressor is hot. any ideas? is there a way to test the compressor or is there a switch or relay gone bad?

TS
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:51:34 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ED25PQXDW03 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/docs/wiring/Wiring%20Sheet%20-%202176787.pdf

[COLOR="Blue"]Has been running for 3-4 hours now, is cold but compressor is hot. [/COLOR]
The compressor should be hot as it is working overtime to get the unit's temperature down to set point. Also make sure that the condenser coils are clean.

[COLOR="Blue"]is there a way to test the compressor or is there a switch or relay gone bad?[/COLOR]
Yes, you could measure across the compressor when it should be on and see if it is getting 120 volts. Looks like the condenser fan and the compressor are wired in parallel so if the fan is running the compressor should be getting voltage.
I am a bit confused at the start you say the "unit was not running" and later that the "compressor not running"
Were these the same thing?
If the fans are running and the compressor not running, it is probably a start/overload device problem.
If the fans are not running and the compressor not running, it is probably a thermostat problem (item 9 Section 11). If you can get it to start just by turning the temperature control odds are it is sticking open.
If the fans are not running and the compressor not running then it could also be that it is sticking in a defrost cycle. If you can get it to run just by turning the defrost timer cam then odds are that is the problem.

I would put my dollars on the thermostat.

Here is a good site on how to check things.
Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
tntsul  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:03:59 AM(UTC)
tntsul

thank you, I answered below

denman Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ED25PQXDW03 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/docs/w...%202176787.pdf

Has been running for 3-4 hours now, is cold but compressor is hot.
The compressor should be hot as it is working overtime to get the unit's temperature down to set point. Also make sure that the condenser coils are clean.

coils are clean, refrigerator is cool but fan and compressor running for hours and hot.

is there a way to test the compressor or is there a switch or relay gone bad?
Yes, you could measure across the compressor when it should be on and see if it is getting 120 volts. Looks like the condenser fan and the compressor are wired in parallel so if the fan is running the compressor should be getting voltage.

not sure how to do, I do have a tester and have switched out parts in past on other units

I am a bit confused at the start you say the "unit was not running" and later that the "compressor not running"
Were these the same thing?

yes, enite unit was not running. when I tapped on the rear upper corner on the fridge side it started running. although when I went to bed last night the compressor was cool and nothing was running. this morning it started on its own and has been running since

If the fans are running and the compressor not running, it is probably a start/overload device problem.

seems like the fans and compressor are running together

If the fans are not running and the compressor not running, it is probably a thermostat problem (item 9 Section 11). If you can get it to start just by turning the temperature control odds are it is sticking open.
If the fans are not running and the compressor not running then it could also be that it is sticking in a defrost cycle. If you can get it to run just by turning the defrost timer cam then odds are that is the problem.

I would put my dollars on the thermostat.

Here is a good site on how to check things.

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros...p;p=238197#ixzz0t6h2BbzE
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:39:31 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]seems like the fans and compressor are running together[/COLOR]
OK so to recap the compressor and fans are off when it has the problem, correct?
So it is probably the thermostat or the defrost timer.
Try my suggestions on how to narrow it down to one or the other.
Try the thermostat first, as they cause this type of problem more often than the defrost timer.
tntsul  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:33:44 AM(UTC)
tntsul

thanks again, I have been watching closly today. At around 12:45 the compressor and fan went off and I could see the water coming out from the defrost cycle. 1/2 hour later the moter and compressor came back on. I will try the thermostadt but am still cofused as to why the unit would have melted at times then ran fine at others. By hitting the back of the refrigerator was I engaging something that the thermometer could not?

TS
denman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:29:04 PM(UTC)
denman

What can happen is the mechanism in the thermostat can weaken and then it will stick open. It is not that uncommon.
tntsul  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 7:00:12 AM(UTC)
tntsul

thanks for help, I will try thermo today
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply