Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lapseal  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:11:52 AM(UTC)
lapseal

Groups: Registered

Hi,
I have an Amana side by side which is cooling only not freezing. Everything is clean all fans are working and the compressor is running.
I had it checked out and the tech said since all fans are working, it's not frosted up inside th freezer that my compressor is shot.
He recommended getting rid of the unit and buying a new one. He said it was too expensive to replace a compressor.
Being in the industrial machine business, I can't see why replacing a compressor would cost over $500.00 to replace. I know I can get another refrigerator for under $1000. But to throw away a perfectly good box seems wasteful. Is there anyone who can replace the compressor in the St. Charles, MO area?
Please call 314.484.9029 to discuss. Thanks.:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 27, 2010 5:58:30 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I assume the tech checked the compressor pressures. With the modern fractional hp compressors, if they get contaminated with air from a refrigerant leak, they recomend compressor replacement. Amana has a sad history of micro-cracks in the internal tubing or evaporator, very hard to find and fix. Even if the leak can be found, it still needs about $400-600 to fix, and in the end, you might have an unreliable unit, considering Amana's history.
In the good old days before Montreal protocal, most refrigerators could be re-charged without compressor replacement and most leaks where on the high side, either in tubing or the condenser. Usually the leak was a very small one that didn't cause a problem for years.
lapseal  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:05:11 AM(UTC)
lapseal

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I assume the tech checked the compressor pressures. With the modern fractional hp compressors, if they get contaminated with air from a refrigerant leak, they recomend compressor replacement. Amana has a sad history of micro-cracks in the internal tubing or evaporator, very hard to find and fix. Even if the leak can be found, it still needs about $400-600 to fix, and in the end, you might have an unreliable unit, considering Amana's history.
In the good old days before Montreal protocal, most refrigerators could be re-charged without compressor replacement and most leaks where on the high side, either in tubing or the condenser. Usually the leak was a very small one that didn't cause a problem for years.

Rich, Hi and thanks for the reply. He did not check pressures he was here for about 20 minutes. It's still cooling the food side of unit fairly decent, but no ice and is not keeping food frozen.
I guess the only thing to do is buy a new unit, the money is not the problem, I just can't stand throwing something away that 90% of the unit is good and the small compressor goes bad. Kind of like throwing your car away when everything is good but the transmission slips.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:52:09 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would never call that tech again, I allways confirm with gauges if the compressor is indeed bad, or the system just low on freon. Sometimes the unit leak can be fixed, but sort of rare these days.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply