Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mleonard  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:08:41 PM(UTC)
mleonard

Groups: Registered

I’m cursed with the desire to figure out and fix problems myself. My built-in KitchenAid refrigerator & freezer started running warm, it’s somewhat cool, but not enough to freeze or to properly cool the frig. I’ve been researching and testing components, but can’t figure out the source of the problem. Here is what I’ve found.

1. KitchenAid Refrigerator/Freezer Model KBRS36MHW01 almost 10 years old.
2. The running warm problem has been intermittent over the past few months, but is now continuous.
3. The condenser coils have been cleaned and the condenser fan is running.
4. There is no frost on the evaporator coils/fins and the fan is running.
5. The unit runs continuously, I assume the temperature sensors are OK, but have not tested.
6. The compressor appears to start and run because I can feel it vibrate to the touch and it gets hot. There is no repeated clicking on/off. But, see comment below about compressor discharge tube.
7. Removed the overload protector and PTC relay from the three compressor terminals and tested the resistance of the motor coils. There is 5 ohms between the common and main coil terminals, 5 ohms between the common and start coil terminals, and 10 ohms between the main and start coil terminals, which I believe is OK. Also, there is no continuity between any of the three compressor terminals and cabinet ground.
8. Opened up the PTC relay housing to inspect the internals. The disk is intact and not discolored. Visually, the PTC relay appears OK; however, I don’t know what it is supposed to look like or whether it is in the process of going bad electrically.
9. Believe the overload protector is working OK. When the main power is turned off after the unit running awhile so the compressor is hot, and then turned back on, the overload protector clicks and the compressor does not start. After several minutes, the compressor appears to start.
10. When the main power is turned on, there is 110 volts to the PTC terminal connected to the compressor main coil terminal and 110 volts to the PTC terminal connected to the compressor start coil terminal. Then, within several seconds the voltage to the PTC terminal connected to the start coil terminal drops to about 70 volts. Note, the voltages are to the PTC relay and not from the PTC relay to the compressor because when the PTC relay is connected to the compressor I can’t get to the compressor terminals to test the voltage.
11. The run capacitor initially has an output of 110 volts which is supplied to the PTC terminal connected to the compressor start coil terminal. Then, the run capacitor quickly drops to about 70 volts output.
12. Manually starting the defrost timer causes the compressor and both fans to stop and the defrost heater to get hot.
13. Compressor discharge tube. When the unit has been off and then the main power is switched on the compressor seems to start immediately and the compressor discharge tube gets very hot to the touch, I believe from the compressed gas. But, the compressor discharge tube cools in about 30 seconds or so. The tube remains warm but not hot. It’s almost if the compressor starts to run OK, but then quickly backs off, although I hear and feel no difference in the running of the compressor. Could a PTC that is going bad electrically cause the compressor to not run at appropriate capacity by improperly limiting the voltage or current to the compressor?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.