Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MagnumVP  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 8:01:54 AM(UTC)
MagnumVP

Groups: Registered

Kenmore model # 25359682992 Side-by-Side is 10 years, 4 months old.

Over the weekend I noticed that the freezer will not turn off. I have the temperature gauge at about 30% of full (about 3 lines up from off). Ice maker works, everything is cold and frozen, but it won't turn off. At first I thought the thermostat may be bad, however if I turn the temperature control down (counter clockwise) to two lines, it will turn off. If I turn it back to 3 lines it will turn back on in 2 minutes and stay on.

Overnight I turned it to 50% of full (strait up) to see if it you get colder, and it seemed to be colder than at 30%. When I turn the temperature control knob counter clockwise it will turn off at about 30%.

Is it my thermostat, compressor, coolant levels (rare I know, but just a thought) or something else. I don't see any ice build up anywhere and at least it's still keeping things frozen, I just don't want a $500 electrical bill. :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was considering purchasing a thermostat to start since it would be considered a "cheap fix".. if that is the problem.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 11:27:41 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the rear cover and the bottom front grille. Clean the condenser coils.

The thermostat does not look bad. Do not play with it too much. After any adjustments done you have to wait about 24 hrs to see how it works. If you turned the compressor off by the thermostat, you have to wait at least 10 minutes before turning it back on.

Gene.
MagnumVP  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 4:02:25 PM(UTC)
MagnumVP

Groups: Registered

I removed the back and the front and cleaned the coils, well at least the ones that I could reach from the front and back. It didn't seem to dusty at all, but I have nothing to compare them too. While I was cleaning the coils I also vacuumed out all the dust mites and cleaned off the condenser.

The fan was spinning and everything else seemed to be working just fine. However I did notice that the condenser was really warm to the touch. Is that normal?

I left it unplugged the entire time I was cleaning it (20 minutes or so) and then plugged it back in. I put a thermometer in the freezer to see what temp it get. I put the thermometer on the top shelf of the freezer. It started at 24.7 degrees and after 1 hour it was down to 2.3 degrees. I'm going to let it run for 24 hours as you mentioned and see if it ever turns off.

I currently have the thermostat at 50% (strait up on the gauge). The temperature outside the refrigerator (inside the kitchen) is 82 degrees. The temperature inside is now 1.9 degrees and its still running.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply