Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dskratz  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:25:14 AM(UTC)
dskratz

Groups: Registered

Like many folks/posts I've seen, I too have now begun to experience issues with the temperature within the fridge. Freezer, ice maker, dispenser are all working fine. Course I can find EVERY other owners manual I have...but the one for the fridge! Can't seem to find this model number anywhere when searching for it. It's a side by side model...

Started with unplugging (waiting a minute) then replugging the refrigerator. Does not seem to have fixed the issue after a couple days. Then removed the covers in the fridge to the coil, and found a bit of ice built up around the hoses which lead into the freezer compartment. Melted that with a hair dryer, along with the frost on the coils in the fridge. There was some frost on the coils, but it did not appear to be excessive.

Saw posts about the door switch having issues so I pushed it in to see if either of the fans run. Nope. cannot hear/see any of the (2) fans in the fridge run. Replaced everything and then noticed my NON-LCD display not working (ARGGG). Went to remove the panel at the top of the fridge to double check connections, etc. when I loosened the top right screw just a little, the display came back on (I should probably remove the panel to see if any of these wires were damaged when the screw was originally installed).

Bought it just over a year ago, and it has been working just fine up to this point. I do have kids and my younger one seems to like to leave the door open and stare into the fridge like something is going to magically appear...

Saw posts about evaporator fans, condensers, motherboards, etc.

Saw also that the m/b was upgraded/revised so I thought about just going ahead and buying one to replace the existing....but figured I"d better post my scenario so I don't just start throwing $$$ at it and replacing ad-hoc parts. I do have volt/ohm meter so if I get some direction I could certainly test whatever is recommended that I test.

Any feedback/direction would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:52:33 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Your problem sure sounds like the freshfood evap fan is not working, giving you warm temps. This is a dual evap, so the freezer is not affected by this. If the fan does not come on when pressing the light switch, that needs to be replace. You have the most current board in this fridge so you do not need to waste money buying a new one as that is not your problem. I'm sure you saw the fan when you removed the assy to get to the freshfood evap, so that is what you need to replace... Here is the part# Part Details - GE Cover evap asm, part number: WR17X11915
dskratz  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:48:28 AM(UTC)
dskratz

Cool. I can't seem to find an image for this part anywhere, so I'm not exactly sure what it consists of, and how to replace it. Is there any way to get a picture and replacement steps?
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:14:09 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Go to www.geappliances.com scroll down to enter appliance model# and you will be able to view a breakdown of your fridge. Once you find the breakdown it is item# 816 in the freshfood section....It is very easy to replace this, remove the lower drawers, locate the 3 screws that hold the assy. 2 on top 1 on the left side, disconnect the wires, and put the new one in.
dskratz  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:15:55 PM(UTC)
dskratz

Ok, that sounds easy enough. This WAS what I took apart last night and melted the ice, which was formed around the hoses leading into the freezer area. Now, does this part include the cover, foam backer with installed fan(s) and the evaporator? Or everything up to the evaporator? I would imagine this does not include the evaporator itself - which would entail adding new freon I would think.
abadfish66  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:29:06 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Yep it comes as an assy with the cover foam and installed fan. The evap stays in the fridge :)
dskratz  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:25:06 AM(UTC)
dskratz

You da man, BadFish!!!!

Checked both fans behind this cover last night. The little side-mounted fan tested fine with a 9v battery with 12+volts...the larger 3.5" fan in the center wouldn't turn.

Tracked down a similar sized fan (4" 12vdc/85cfm fan from Radio Shack $20), mounted it in place of the OEM fan, put the assembly back together and...
VOILA!!!!

This morning my fridge is at 35degrees! WOO HOO.

Couldn't see spending the $112 on the whole assembly for a fan. Figured I'm now going to search to see if I can find that exact fan assembly somewhere and pick up one or two. I figure the cost of the fan should really only be about $5-$10. Then I'll take back the overpriced fan to R/S!
abadfish66  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:25:30 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

I am a GE appliance tech, and the reason I gave you the part# for the whole assembly is that we don't have the fan by itself, kinda crazy I know, glad you could get it fixed :)
univ0298  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:57:50 PM(UTC)
univ0298

I have the same problem, with a PSC25PSTASS. We actually got the part replaced about 6-9 months ago, and it's broken again in the same way. Clearly there's a design flaw, which is a bit worrying when the part costs $170 and fails every 6-12 months.

I'm wondering what my best approach is now. The specific fan is not one I can find anywhere with the best of Google's efforts. So maybe I need to get the Radio Shack one... is this it?
RadioShack.com - Computers: Components & parts: Cooling systems: 120VAC 4" Fan

The original fan is about 4" x 4.7", whereas this Radio Shack one looks square. I'm concerned it won't be as effective or won't fit. If it is the right one, how did you wire it in and make it fit into the foam slot?

Anyone have suggestions please? Thank you.

Richard
univ0298  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 3:12:50 AM(UTC)
univ0298

Originally Posted by: univ0298 Go to Quoted Post
So maybe I need to get the Radio Shack one... is this it?
RadioShack.com - Computers: Components & parts: Cooling systems: 120VAC 4" Fan

Sorry, I meant this one:
RadioShack.com - Computers: Components & parts: Cooling systems: 4" Cooling Fan
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply