Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
InAZ  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2010 3:37:35 AM(UTC)
InAZ

Groups: Registered

I've posted a question on the "Freezer is fine" sticky but have additional questions about normal operation.

We bought this fridge used last year. From pretty close to the beginning, the freezer seemed to run too cold (-25 or lower) despite sliding the temp control all the way to the warm side. Fridge temps were steady at about 38. It used to crackle every few hours (which I understand is the defrost?) and the fan & compressor would turn on and off periodically.

A suggestion was made a few months back to replace the thermostat but I didn't get around to it. Now that I think about it, at around this time the crackling stopped and the fan ran constantly. Over the last month or so the temps in fridge started edging up to 45, the freezer warmed slightly to -20.

Pulling apart the interiors, it was discovered that both vents from the freezer to the fridge were blocked completely with ice. The coils in the back of the freezer were iced over, with a long knife-shaped solid chunk of ice running up and down the coils against the fridge wall (right above the iced-over vent to the veggie crisper.)

I defrosted everything and plugged the appliance back in. About 8 hours later, the fridge is down to about 35 and the freezer is around 0. It is crackling periodically again, and the fan & compressor are cycling on and off. Everything seems to be working fine, just like when we first got it.

Any ideas if this indicates a specific problem we need to address? Is it possible we had too much food packed in the freezer, and something got blocked? I plan on replacing the thermostat in the near future.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.