Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aesp  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:21:35 PM(UTC)
aesp

Groups: Registered

HI. My top loader did fine for 4 loads today then ran amok on the 5th. It leaked some but the tub is still full after showing that the spin cycle is complete. I didn't notice any problems before that. Any suggestions? This has been a workhorse over the years and I have no great urge to find another. Should I/can I fix it or should I take my friend up on her offer to take her's? Any suggestios would be gratly appreciated. ANN
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 1:43:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ann,

In order to provide most accurate advise we need the complete model number of the washer.

Gene.
aesp  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 2:27:15 PM(UTC)
aesp

The model number of this Norge is LNC6440A80. Also, it only leaked the bit at the beginning and then hasn't leaked since. I tried to reset the machine to spin after removing most of the water but got no response. Trying to start at the beginning of the cycle it seemed to be much as usual, water will come in at any point.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 2:35:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

Does it make any noises when it should spin?

Gene.
aesp  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 2:55:56 PM(UTC)
aesp

The agitator moves and the motor seems to be a bit louder than usual but I'm not sure if it sounds different just because there is no laundry in it. Also, I just tried running it from the beginning of the cycle again - didn't see it rinsing and there was some limited leaking from underneath.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 3:17:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Remove the front panel and try to pinpoint the leak.

The model number you posted does not come up.

Gene.
aesp  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 6:32:55 PM(UTC)
aesp

Gene, I doublechecked the model number and it is correct. Maybe it's actually older than 10 years and that's why it isn't coming up? After removing the front of the case, it looks as though it is leaking from a really thin gasket around the central metal part. The gasket is out of shape (sort of ruffled gaping) every once in a while and there are tiny droplets of water hanging there. I saw nothing that gave me any clues about not draining. Next step? Thanks for your help. ANN
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:42:23 PM(UTC)
Gene

Looks like the central seal is leaking.

If the motor is running but the washer does not drain it could be a bad belt, a bad pump or a clog in a drain line.

I'm not able to provide more accurate advise due to the model number does not come up.

Gene.
aesp  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:14:04 PM(UTC)
aesp

Thanks for your help, Gene. I took off the agitator plastic piece and poked around through all the holes in the bottom thinking they might be clogged, straightened up the tub, cursed some, and, voila, it started draining as it should. It is still throwing out some water but I was thinking of letting it dry out completely and then epoxying around the central seal. It doesn't appear to be a moving part so I thought it might work for a while longer at least. ANN
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply