Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
barryware  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 7:01:31 AM(UTC)
barryware

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore French Door refrigerator with the ice maker in the fresh food compartment.

It is actually a Frigidaire FFHB2740P with a Kenmore name plate on it.

The problem is that the defrost drain for the icemaker evaporator freezes shut.

This is the second time this has happened in the last year. The first time, I did not realize the problem.

The icemaker and fridge defrost at the same time. The icemaker evaporator has its own heater and thermal switch.

When the drain (for the ice maker) freezes shut, water drips down the back panel of the fridge (on the inside), pools, then freezes under the bottom drawer. If left unchecked, it will eventually make its way to the damper and freeze causing the damper to no longer be able to move.

The last time I had to fix it, I did not realize the problem was the icemaker defrost drain frozen shut until I had everything apart. Even then, It took almost two days for it to thaw itself out. The drain pipe (tube) is encapsulated in the foam insulation sprayed in between the interior walls, and the exterior panels. Even a heat gun was not much help.

So.. My questions is if anyone knows how this drain tube is routed.

It is not even mentioned in any parts lists, prints, or views I have been able to find online.

I only see one drain tube underneath the fridge leading into the drain pan.

I suspect that maybe the icemaker drain terminates at or near the main evaporator and there is only one drain for both, or, the icemaker drain is inside the larger drain tube that drips into the pan.

I was thinking I could clear the drain by pushing something from the end of the drain, back up to the frozen part near the icemaker.

So.. Can someone advise as to where the icemaker defrost drain terminates?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.