Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eagle243  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:44:39 PM(UTC)
eagle243

Groups: Registered

Hi, all.

I have a Maytag that I bought in 1996. Over the years I have replaced several parts on it. This week, I replaced the motor because the bearings went out. Tonight after I finished the job, I started it and it ran fine for 30 minutes or so. I went to demo it to my wife, and it will not start.

I checked the start switch - it's fine (multimeter shows it to be a closed circuit).
I checked the thermal fuse - it's fine (multimeter shows it to be a closed circuit).
I checked the door switch - it's fine (multimeter shows it to be a closed circuit).

The unit has power.

I'm at a loss for what else to check Any ideas?

Maybe it's the function selector switch... but I wonder if I can still find that part.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:32:29 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The wiring diagram shows two thermal fuses. Always remove one wire when you test for continuity.

Parts for Maytag LDE8604ACE: Wiring Information-LDE8604ACX Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com
eagle243  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:15:49 AM(UTC)
eagle243

Thanks.

This morning I found that it had tripped the breaker, so I reset that and went to try again. I ran it for about 10 minutes, then opened the door to confirm that it was hot. Closed the door and pushed start button: motor spun, but didn't catch. Released start button and pushed again: NOTHING. Checked breaker - breaker is not tripped, and I confirmed the unit still has power.

I'll check both thermal fuses (the one a second time, and the other a first time).

Thanks.
eagle243  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2017 10:59:20 AM(UTC)
eagle243

Thanks for the reply. I checked the second thermal fuse, and it is fine too. I think I have figured out what's going on, but now I don't know what to do about it. Here's more info on this problem:

When the unit is cold, I can set the timer to a run setting (e.g., 50 minutes) and push start and have it start pretty quickly. If I let it run for a few minutes and then stop it and attempt to restart it, it progressively gets more difficult to start as I let it run longer, to the point that pushing the start button makes a noise in the motor but does not spin the drum. Not long after this, pushing the start button results in the motor not doing anything. Then, after a few minutes, without doing anything but wait, I can push start and the motor spins and starts the dryer.

The longer I wait between runs, the faster it is to start; my guess is that the longer I wait between runs, the cooler the motor is.

I am suspecting a thermal overload in the motor.

I have confirmed all of my connections. Specifically: I am coming from an S58NXEET-4784 and moving to a S58SVEET-7126. I followed the included instructions:
- grey lead connects to thermal protector tab
- red lead connects to pin 5
- blue lead connects to pin 1
- black lead connects to pin 2
- yellow lead connects to pin 6

I wonder if I got a faulty motor and that the centrifugal switch is not cutting over to the cooler "run" winding and is stuck on the hotter "start" winding.

Thanks for your help earlier, and for any guidance on tracking this down.
eagle243  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 11:44:39 AM(UTC)
eagle243

Well, my issue turned out to be that the new motor was faulty. I replaced it today, and the dryer now works perfectly.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply