Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
colbran  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 12:01:48 PM(UTC)
colbran

Groups: Registered

Not sure on the age of my unit, but I'm thinking at least 10?

Went down to get my laundry moved from the washer to the dryer and thought my clothes smelled a tad funny. Investigated a little further, pulled back the rubber ring to clean it out, and I have all these hard plastic shavings everywhere. These came from the area that surrounds the metal drum. It was making a lot of noise when I heard it spinning, but I assumed it was out of balance and would rearrange itself. There wasn't a large load in there, medium sized, and just socks, underwear, shorts, etc.

What in the world happened here that would cause plastic shavings to be all over in the catch area and still attached to the outside of the drum?

Second, is this the end of this washer?
colbran attached the following image(s):
IMG_3045 (2).jpg
IMG_3046 (2).jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 3:45:21 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Unfortunately it appears that the support arm (spider arm) that holds the inner basket to the drive shaft is broken. (very common occurrence)
Unfortunately it is not sold separately, you would have to purchase the entire inner basket assembly.
This is the part you need along with installation video.
Whirlpool WPW10250573 Inner Wash Basket - AppliancePartsPros.com

There is an outside chance it might be a bent drive shaft (same replacement part needed however) or it could be bad tub bearing (doubtful)
colbran  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 4:54:50 AM(UTC)
colbran

Interesting....the problem I still have is that the plastic around this has been ruined. I'm imagining that this would need to be replaced too since it is all torn up on the edges. Do you have a link for that?

My husband and I would no doubt be able to tear this apart and put it back together, both handy, but the time it would take with digging of a new addition right now is not something either of us necessarily want to tackle. The amount of work this looks like would probably cost a ton of money for a professional to do. Thoughts?
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:15:43 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

The plastic shavings you see are from the stainless inner basket rubbing against the plastic outer tub. As you might suspect the two should never touch.
As for repair vs replace I agree with replace I purchased a new duet when I built my home in 2004 and had the same issue. Fortunately that model had a replaceable spider arm (which yours doesn't). After the second arm broken I purchased a new duet in 2009. Funny thing it to broke..... Lesson learned I now have a whirlpool cabrio top load. Using bulky setting for max water it works like a charm.
Note the spider arm failure occurs in many brands including Samsung and LG. The reason is they use cast aluminum for the spider which is bolted onto a stainless steel drum. Result electrolysis! So just like zink anodes on the hull of a ship the aluminum begin to degrade.
colbran  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:17:01 AM(UTC)
colbran

Seems you and I are in the same boat. I was delving into a new set of washer and dry but was hopeful for a stackable unit, which a lot of these front loads seem to be with a dryer. I just don't know if that's something I want to mess with. Kids are gone, so loads won't be huge, and the obvious convenience is saving space. Sounds like your top load would be the way to avoid an arm problem again, but like I said, doesn't save me any space. Hmmmm.....I'm going to have to really think this over. I wish this site had opinions on new sets!! I appreciate your help, by the way!!
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:16:26 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Another option would be a laundry center. That's a combo unit with the dryer built onto the top of the top load washer. Standard 27 inch wide models should handle your needs.
brobriffin attached the following image(s):
$_58.jpg
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply