Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
icetea07  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:54:26 PM(UTC)
icetea07

Groups: Registered

I have a maytag dryer model# MEDC300BW0not starting. Last week it would start then stop midway through. When attempting to restart the dryer, it would hum and not start again for about 45 min. I have checked the door switch, start switch, thermal fuse all were fine. I replaced the motor. Now it is not starting at all. I took it back apart to make sure I didn't forget to plug something back up. Everything again checked out, but when attempting to start the dryer, nothing happens at all. There is electrical clicking but nothing else.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 1, 2017 5:27:37 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Groups: Registered

Your original idea of changing the motor was a likely culprit given the description you wrote. Not super common on these but it the motor thermal safety opens it would take a little while to reset. 45 minutes seems long for that however.

1st verify that both sides of the breaker are properly closed, some breakers will allow one leg to be tripped while the other is closed. It is a quick basic check that still bites me in the butt once in a while.

It's time to look at electrical issues. So you need to verify that the motor is being powered by the timer. Look for 120v to ground and neutral at both sides of the thermal fuse if you have easy access to the back and are ok with testing live. You can also run these with the drum out as there is no belt switch so you can look for voltage at the motor terminal block also.

I believe the timer provides neutral and 120v to the motor, if you don't see 120v between neutral and hot at the motor start tracing it back. Don't rely on 120v to ground as that is not what the motor uses. You can also check this at the timer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply