Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gutbug54  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 1:47:38 PM(UTC)
gutbug54

Groups: Registered

Tried making a bag of popcorn Saturday night and thought we had a bad bag that didn't pop, tried another one and the same thing. That's when my wife said the microwave smelt bad. I've checked the capacitors because I have a HVAC background and I recognized those parts and on other postings they said to check them, but that's not the problem. I'm not sure how to check the diode if that's an issue. Please Help!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 3:23:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
There is a pretty simple test, but you have to be careful not to electrocute yourself. Open the control panel and run the microwave watching the parts inside to see which one will produce a smoke and/or smell. Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagram and Microwave replacement parts for GE JVM1443LK02 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
gutbug54  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 3:34:29 PM(UTC)
gutbug54

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
There is a pretty simple test, but you have to be careful not to electrocute yourself. Open the control panel and run the microwave watching the parts inside to see which one will produce a smoke and/or smell. Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagram and Microwave replacement parts for GE JVM1443LK02 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Diode or h.v assy giving off smell, trying to get to the mag to try to test. From what I've read if the diode is bad the mag is probably shot too. Also what kind of reading would I get from a good diode? My meter has a doide function. Do you have to check them in the right direction?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 3:45:55 PM(UTC)
Gene

Most common source of smell and/or smoke is a high voltage transformer. Diode, if it's shorted, will cause an excessive noise. Smells diode is very seldom as well as magnetron.

Shorted diode usually accompanied by shot magnetron in most of GE microwaves.

Gene.
gutbug54  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 4:27:39 PM(UTC)
gutbug54

Most common source of smell and/or smoke is a high voltage transformer. Diode, if it's shorted, will cause an excessive noise. Smells diode is very seldom as well as magnetron.

Shorted diode usually accompanied by shot magnetron in most of GE microwaves.

Gene.

Not sure if this helps but about three seconds after starting a cycle the microwave would hum louder than normal. That's also why the first thing I tried was the capacitors. Other than that I'm not sure what to try next. I've got access to the transformer and mag now but not sure how to check. If you can give any pointers that would be great!
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 5:31:16 PM(UTC)
Gene

If you do have an ohmmeter then check the diode, transformer windings and magnetron for continuity.

The magnetron has to be tested for continuity between each terminal and ground. Any reading except "∞" means it's bad.

You can find the instructions on how to test the diode in one of our previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...19868-diode-testing.html

Gene.
gutbug54  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:33:54 PM(UTC)
gutbug54

If you do have an ohmmeter then check the diode, transformer windings and magnetron for continuity.

The magnetron has to be tested for continuity between each terminal and ground. Any reading except "∞" means it's bad.

You can find the instructions on how to test the diode in one of our previous posts: http://forum.appliancepartspros...19868-diode-testing.html

Gene.

Checked the diode with the test you posted for me thanks. I have 6volts each way throught the diode. Looks like the diode is bad.

Magnetron tested open between ground and all terminals, but the high voltage transformer had continuity between a wire that goes to the capacitor and ground. The rest were all open could that mean that the transformer is bad?
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:13:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

The diode is bad. No doubt about it. The transformers test looks OK.

- The diode Part number: AP3192533
Part number: AP3192533

Gene.
gutbug54  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:34:24 PM(UTC)
gutbug54

The diode is bad. No doubt about it. The transformers test looks OK.

- The diode Part number: AP3192533
Part number: AP3192533

Gene.

Thanks Gene I got the diode today and so far the microwave works great thanks for all the advice.
Gene  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:40:13 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. I"m glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply