Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CitadelBlue  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2017 6:52:11 PM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

Groups: Registered

My Whirlpool GSS26C4XXY00 ice maker is not working. The water dispenser works fine. The Ice maker is not getting any water. I installed a new solenoid valve. Still not getting water. I did not reverse the leads on the solenoid valve to determine if the ice maker solenoid would work via depressing the water dispenser on the door. After 4 hours working on the solenoid, I needed a break and thought I'd read some posts and ask some questions. The ice maker and storage bin are in the door. The switch is on. Is there some kind of LED that is suppose to be on? How do I access that?
Thanks

Ken
Ken.Kmiec@cox.net
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

CitadelBlue  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:49:50 AM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

OK ... Got a email from a forum poster from 2013. Seems he had a similar issue back then. Initially he thought it was the circuit boards/LED switch that is triggered when then beam that shoots across the ice bin is interrupted by the pile of ice stored in there. In the old days it was the metal or plastic arm that would stopped based on how much ice was in the bin. Anyway.... prying plastic tabs in a freezer is difficult. Lucky I did not break anything. However unhooking the wire plug from each board (2) could have been easier if Whirlpool added an extra inch of wire. A couple of pictures ...Now to see how $$$$$$ these are .....

Although he ordered the boards installed them, that did not fix the issue. He then ordered and installed a new ice maker and it worked. He removed the new boards and reinstalled the old boards and his ice maker continued to work.

I'll start with ordering new boards......
CitadelBlue attached the following image(s):
Inside door.jpg
Bin Switch.jpg
Large Switch.jpg
Large Switched board.jpg
Small board.jpg
CitadelBlue  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:55:35 AM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

Parts Pros only lists one of the boards ($249) .... the smaller one is discontinued. Cost on AMAZON for both is $300 (free shipping not available even with Amazon Prime). Ugggg ....

OK ... parts ordered from Amazon .... will keep you posted

CitadelBlue  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2017 11:24:11 AM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

Troubleshooting summary.......
Read all the forum posts about NO ice. Checked for ice jam in the ice maker ... no ice/no water. I did not reverse the wires to the solenoid to determine if the solenoid would work when activated by the water dispenser. The solenoid seemed to be the major cause of the NO ice in the forum posts.....AND based on experiences I had with an older Whirlpool frig .. the lack of ice was a result of no water/bad solenoid. At this time I did not note whether the LED beam was working. Once the solenoid arrived and it was installed and again checked for water flow and solenoid operation. Main single solenoid working, water flowing to/from filter to double solenoid. Water dispenser working. Assuming ice maker solenoid working. Still no ice/no water flow to ice maker. Time for hair dryer to water line to ice maker. Hair dryer applied to ice maker then to water line at bottom door. Still no water flow. Looked at some forum posts that pointed toward the LED beam with units that had ice maker/storage bin IN the freezer. Problem pointed toward the circuit boards. Re-looked at forum for someone with Whirlpool frig similar to mine with both ice maker and ice bin in the door. Then as I mentioned in an earlier post above, found an older forum post from Fred in Hawaii . But forum post never updated with results. He did post an email address so I emailed him and his response pointed me to LED circuit boards.

Before I removed the boards to obtain the replacement part numbers, I did not have any LED illuminated, no LED beam.... so I'm thinking .... no LED beam to trigger the ice maker.

AM I replacing parts ? Seems like I am.

Can I test power before or to the circuit boards?

What are your thoughts?

Ken in VA

CitadelBlue  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:44:35 AM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

Originally Posted by: CitadelBlue Go to Quoted Post
Parts Pros only lists one of the boards ($249) .... the smaller one is discontinued. Cost on AMAZON for both is $300 (free shipping not available even with Amazon Prime). Oh ....

OK ... parts ordered from Amazon .... will keep you posted

Still waiting on one board .... the smaller one (est 3/23-3/26). Received the larger board (2x2inch ) in a 5.5x4.5.4inch box loose/unwrapped. a piece of tape whould have kept the board wrapped sufficiently. Although there was bubble wrap in the box it was no bigger than a piece of klenex. What a way to treat a $200 circuit board. Seems another poster stated that his inlet valve (as was mine) was poorly wrapped as well.
CitadelBlue  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:50:10 AM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

So as I continue to think about ice ..... and reading the posts on this web site on the subject ....... I've concluded that there could be 4 issues causing NO ice:
1) the water inlet valve .. solenoid
2) the circuit boards that sense ice in the bins
3) the ice maker itself
4) water lines - frozen in the door or to the filter or clogged filter

Thoughts ?
CitadelBlue  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 2:14:14 PM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

147 views...... ????

I returned home last night from NC (short trip to see grandchildren) and received the other/smaller circuit board today. At least it was wrapped and taped in bubble wrap. Will install later this week.

But...... I read another forum about a 2 watt "Heater" element that seems to go bad that causes an icing problem right before the ice maker. Could be part Nos: W10347267 or 10347034 .. but my model number doesn't list either....... A closer look at the parts diagram and my model number ... seems AP6020016 is the correct part (remember my ice maker and ice bin are both located in the door.

We shall see as I enter round 2 in Ken vs the ice maker. Will keep you posted .

Thoughts?
CitadelBlue  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 11:23:51 AM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

Got the cover to the ice make off of the door ...easy ... 2 philips screws. No ice build up, but I put the hair dryer on it...... Installed two new circuit boards that are behind the panel that is being pointed to above in the picture. LED illuminated? .... yep ..... Now I am waiting to see if it works ..... Temps need to come down ,,,,,,,,

Will keep you posted......
CitadelBlue  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:59:59 PM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

190 views and no new input?

6.5 hours later and still no ice and no illuminated LED ...ugggghh!
CitadelBlue  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:37:23 AM(UTC)
CitadelBlue

221 views by this afternoon ..... can anyone provide any encouragement?
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As mentioned I received and installed the 2 circuit boards yesterday. They seem to monitor the amount of ice in the ice bin and I would think send the signal to make dump more ice if need be. Took cover off inside freezer door to access ice maker and used a hair dyer on the water inlet line in case there was an ice blockage in water line. Noted illuminated LED lite from left/larger circuit board when ice bin was in place. Later yesterday no ice and no illuminated LED. 18 hours later still no ice and no illuminated LED. Not sure if LED is indicator as my basement frig with working ice maker has ice and similar LED but its not illuminated. Also there is NO water in the ice maker.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My next step is ice maker replacement, but since I never tested the water valve (i.e. reversed the wiring so the water dispenser triggers the ice maker solenoid), I will do that. BUT.. that means pulling out the frig, getting down on the floor and getting may big hands in small spots to reverse the wiring...... another UGGGGG .... not today .......
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Will keep you posted.
[/FONT]
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply