Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TerryY  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2016 6:30:50 PM(UTC)
TerryY

Groups: Registered

We bought a home that has a built-in GE Monogram 42" counter depth refrigerator (compressor is mounted on the top of the unit). The refrigerator side door gasket is damaged at the bottom and needs to be replaced.

Any advice to avoid doing something silly...or regrettable?

TIA
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cbmserviceguy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:34:48 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Most of these gaskets these days just pop into a track. Fairly easy to remove and install. A trick of the trade is to use a hair dryer to warm the gasket up in places where it has kinked in shipping to reform it. As long as you get the corners where they are supposed to go and get it seated in the track the whole way around, you will be fine. Just make sure to heat it up and get it all straight and sealed up well, then let it sit for a couple hours to cool and assume it's new shape. Hope this helps!
TerryY  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2016 7:33:28 AM(UTC)
TerryY

Originally Posted by: cbmserviceguy Go to Quoted Post
Most of these gaskets these days just pop into a track. Fairly easy to remove and install. A trick of the trade is to use a hair dryer to warm the gasket up in places where it has kinked in shipping to reform it. As long as you get the corners where they are supposed to go and get it seated in the track the whole way around, you will be fine. Just make sure to heat it up and get it all straight and sealed up well, then let it sit for a couple hours to cool and assume it's new shape. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick response! This refrigerator is 10 years old, as near as I could tell (it was installed when the house was built in 2006). If the install differs from your description, I'll let you know. Thanks for the trick of the trade and I'll snag my wife's hair dryer to get the gasket ready for installation.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply