Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spelding  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2016 12:36:14 PM(UTC)
spelding

Groups: Registered

Hey brobriffin.

Okay, after checking everything you asked me to check, here is what I found. On the heater can side, the item you listed as 1, the heater element is bad. Just to be sure, the heating element is a white rectangular box with two connections, correct? The box itself looks somewhat charred. I'm hoping when I replaced the hi limit thermostat and the hi limit thermal cutoff, that I made the proper connections. To be certain, I'm going to explain where each of the connections are connected to.

The charred end of the heating element is connected to one of the connectors on the hi limit thermostat. The other end of the heating element is connected to a red wire that that goes through the opening on the bottom back of the dryer.

Although the high limit thermostat tested OK, the remaining red wire that connects to it broke off. This broken wire is red and connects to the top connector on the cycling thermostat. There was a green crust on about 3/4 inches of the wire from where it broke from the connector.

Everything else tests good. I sure hope I didn't screw anything up. When I replaced those items, the dryer worked fine. The only thing that stopped working was the timer, but I wasn't too concerned about that. Should I have been? It was working before, the dryer stopped heating the first time. If you text me your number, I can take a picture of the heating can. My number is 609 431-3539

Thanks.
brobriffin  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2016 7:15:27 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If your heating element tests bad then by all means replace it. I also recommend replacing the cycling thermostat and obtaining a new wire between the two. I'm sure you did make the proper connections. It is all daisy chained in line.
The L1 hot wire comes from the timer to side 1 of the hi limit thermal cut off then it travels down to the Cycling thermostat, then it goes over to the hi limit thermostat which connect to side 1 of the heating element. The other side of the heating element (the red wire that goes thru an opening on the bottom of the dryer) which runs to a centrifugal switch on the motor L2.

Here is the part you need which will replace that charred connection on the heating element.
Whirlpool 279838 Whirlpool Dryer Heating Element - AppliancePartsPros.com
As for that burnt wire between the cycling therm and heater you will need to search for one maybe at a local repair shop or electric shop. Make sure to obtain the correct gauge wire and terminal ends. Take the old burnt one with you.
spelding  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2016 7:52:13 PM(UTC)
spelding

I was looking at the repair video that dealt with changing the thermal fuse. In the video, the package of parts also included a newer version of the hi limit thermostat. It didn't have the connector arm that connected to the left connector on the heating element. It talks about cutting an orange wire and crimping a brass two part terminal on. The red wire connector that came in the package had to have one end cut and a silver terminal was crimped. The orange wire was then connected to the bottom connector on the thermostat, with the silver end of the red wire connected to it as well. The other end of that red wire was then connected to the left side of the heating element.

The hi limit thermostat that I have that tested good is the older type. It has that arm at the bottom that directly connected to the left side of the heating element. Then there is a red wire that goes from the cycling thermostat to the top of the hi limit thermostat. The other red wire goes from the centrifugal switch to the right connection on the heating element.

Reason why I'm going into this detail is that the video identified a total of three wires, 2 red and one orange. My dryer only has the two red wires and no orange one. I'm assuming that's because of the newer type of hi limit thermostat. Am I correct in assuming that since I have the older type hi limit thermostat, that the arm on the thermostat goes into the left side of the heating element with the red wire from the centrifugal switch connecting to the right side, and the red wire from the cycling thermostat to the top connection on the hi limit thermostat?

As far as the broken wire, I just twisted the exposed wires and crimped them to a silver terminal (which I found in my basement). I checked that the terminal fit on the top connection on the hi limit thermostat. I'm going to purchase the heating element tomorrow. I'm hoping that should do the trick. I'll get back to you either way. Thank you for your help and patience.
brobriffin  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:51:58 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

The orange wire is not used in all machines depending on model. That wire is used for the timer motor in some models. Apparently your machines wiring schematic is different, no worries.
Just make sure the terminal end you placed on the wire is connecting firmly. The typical reason wires burn or char is due to poor connections causing arcing.
I believe with a good connection and a new heating element you will be back in business.
spelding  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2016 11:52:11 PM(UTC)
spelding

Thanks. Just ordered the part from this website. Turns out that not only is this an excellent site for the professional help and guidance, but their prices are far cheaper than the quotes I received from several local sources. Should arrive Thursday or Friday. I'll let you know how it went.
spelding  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:36:18 AM(UTC)
spelding

Hey bro.

Getting a bit frustrated. Received the heating element in the mail today. Installed it, made the proper connections, and plugged it in. No heat. I proceeded to test the heating element with the continuity tester. Just to be sure I did it right, I connected the alligator clip to one of the connectors on the element and the other end on the other one. The bulb didn't light, so I'm assuming the new heating element is defective. I also checked the other areas you mentioned to check in a previous post. Everything else tested fine.

Not sure if you know but are the heating elements continuity tested before shipping?
Anything else that might be wrong? I really thought that would do the trick. Looking forward to any other insights you might have. Just to be sure, the connection on the charred wire was made using a silver terminal lead. It's supposed to be silver, correct?
brobriffin  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:42:27 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Mr. S,
Sorry to hear your having problems. Please try to run a continuity test on the heating element alone. In other words unplug the two connected terminals and test just the element itself with nothing attached.
We will address the issue of terminal ends after we determine if the element is good or not.
You may choose to uninstall the heating element then test it while looking at the element. If you get no continuity you can inspect it to see if it is broken somewhere.
Get back to me with your results.
spelding  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:47:44 AM(UTC)
spelding

Heating element is out of the dryer, nothing connected to it. I tested both the inside and outside connectors, and the light didn't go on. All other items treated fine.
brobriffin  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:32:17 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Based on that can you see any obvious breaks in the element?
Test also the wires you repaired to make sure they have continuity.
I'm not to confident about your style tester, it may not work on this element due to the amount of resistance through it. If there are no obvious breaks in the element the issue may be somewhere else.
Any chance you could post some pictures of what you have?
1. the wiring
2. the heating element
3. the back side showing the thermostats
You can post pics by clicking on "Go Advanced" next to the post quick reply.
Then scroll down to the Attach files and click on manage attachments.
spelding  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:43:45 PM(UTC)
spelding

There are no breaks in the heating element. The red wire that I repaired runs from the top connection on the cycling thermostat. That also tested fine. I'm assuming since the only part that failed continuity was the new heating element that it is the culprit. Going to call Customer Service tomorrow and see if they can send out a replacement immediately instead of them waiting for me to return the element.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply