Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjcarb  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2016 11:53:49 AM(UTC)
mjcarb

Groups: Registered

We have an old whirlpool deluxe washing machine. It had a leaky water pump, but otherwise worked fine. I decided to replace the water pump this week and bought the part. Its a very simple install. The problem I am having is that once installed, I run a test cycle and the spin cycle actually destroys the new water pump. It burns out the seal, and melts the plastic of the water wheel inside. I Bought the first pump on amazon. The second one I bought from an appliance repair shop an hour away.(Cost 4x as much as the one from amazon!) The same thing happened to the OEM pump. I called the appliance repair shop, and they said they'd never heard of that happening before. They wanted to send a tech. At this point my wife wants a new machine, as the repair will cost more than the old machine is worth...But I'm stumped and aggravated..I want to know why such an easy fix is making me look like a buffoon. anyone have any idea what is happening here??
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Hammonds  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2016 6:27:27 AM(UTC)
Hammonds

Did you ever get help with this issue? I am having similar problems with my Whirlpool Duet. I Bought an Amazon pump and all. I am on my second pump and it is getting extremely hot. I am convinced it is a CCU issue making the pump run too long, but I can't be sure before I buy a $200 part for no reason. I have seen the post on a couple forums but no answers are ever given.
brobriffin  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2016 10:43:50 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
MJCARB can you please give us the model number of your machine? With that info we may be able to find an answer for you. There are several type of drain pump systems.

Hammonds, your issue may different than their problem depending on the model and type of drain pump system. Can you tell us does the pump get hot right away? How long does the drain pump run for? Does it pump out all of the water right away?
mjcarb  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 5:21:04 AM(UTC)
mjcarb

We junked the washer and bought a new one. I'm not sure of the model number. Bit this is what the pump looked like. Common Kenmore whirlpool pump. The machine worked fine other than an annoying leak from the pump seal.UserPostedImage
mjcarb  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 5:25:02 AM(UTC)
mjcarb

brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 5:46:28 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Interesting as I've never heard of this issue with a new replacement pump either. These pumps if manufactured correctly will last up to 15 - 20 years. Now it might have been the drive shaft from the motor was ajar or bent or the bearings in the front of the motor might have been going bad allowing the shaft to extend to far into the pump. As you know from experience of replacing the pump, it has to lined up perfectly on the front of the motor. So it may be a number of issues that caused your problem.
Oh how I wish I had your machine to diagnose and find out why.
brobriffin  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 5:49:42 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Now for you Hammonds. As you can see the pump on his older top load direct drive is a completely different critter than your duet, which has a separate pump and motor from the drive system.
Perhaps you could start a new thread with your issue and we can further diagnose it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply