Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Not_Handy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2016 3:05:59 PM(UTC)
Not_Handy

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I need advice concerning this washer, which I believe is over 30 years old. Although this machine had been violently loud and seemed to leave clothes considerably wetter than it should, it nonetheless had continued to work and I had been using it regularly. Then, recently, I was cleaning the area inside the machine just below the lid when the gasket (not sure of the proper term; the plastic and metal ring seen in the photo) came loose, resulting in the condition that can be seen in the photos I attached. I am afraid to even try using the machine now.

I would be most grateful to anyone who could advise me regarding this situation. What would be involved in repairing this condition? Would it even be realistic to find the needed part(s)? If it would, what about the cost-- both for the part(s) as well as whatever labor would be necessary? Would it even pay?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Not_Handy attached the following image(s):
old_GE-top-load-1-full-view.jpg
old_GE_top_load-2.jpg
old_GE_top_load-3.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2016 5:09:17 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It sounds as if your suspension assembly is bad. The cause of (violently loud) it being out of balance and not spinning out all the water. This is what likely caused your shield cover (by GE Part Number AP2045470) and its ring (by GE Part Number AP2046059) to break. While those two parts are available the suspension assembly is no longer in production ( GE part # WH17X87) even if a google search would find one, the asking price is well above $150.
Unless you have a local family owned repairman that may have replacement parts, I think it might be time to retire the old girl.
Not_Handy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:07:46 PM(UTC)
Not_Handy

Thank you very much, brobriffin, for replying and for identifying the parts.

Just to be clear, it was only when I started trying to clean underneath/behind the shield cover that it (and its metal ring) came out of place, resulting in the condition seen in the photos.

Two follow-up questions, if I may:

1.) Is there any chance that the existing, old shield cover and ring might be able to be put back into their proper place?

2.) Dare I try running the machine in its current condition (with the shield cover out-of-place)? Were I to do so, what should I expect? What is the worse that could happen?

Thanks again.
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:10:56 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ok if you only dislodged the shield cover and its ring and they are not damaged, then of coarse you can reinstall them. According to your original post it seemed as though they were out due to the tub spinning out of balance (which I've seen before)
As I can find no videos for a machine this old, perhaps you can look at the schematic Parts for GE WWA8364VKL: Cabinet and Suspension Asm. Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com to see how to open her up.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply