Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
croftonhills  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:44:50 AM(UTC)
croftonhills

Groups: Registered

This is a Kenmore dryer, I believe made by Whirlpool. The symptom was that when you press the switch to turn it on, nothing happens...no motor noise, no drum spin. Removed the top and found that the belt was broken. However, I'm wondering if the motor is also bad since I don't hear the motor spin when the start button is pushed (though I do hear a hum from the control panel which I believe is the timer. It its just a belt, I figure I will replace, but don't want to go to the effort if the motor could be bad.

Thanks, Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

thorning  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:01:34 PM(UTC)
thorning

Groups: Registered

I am not sure but some of these dryers have a broken belt switch that keeps the dryer from turning on if the belt is broken. I recently had this happen on a dryer I had in for repair. The belt itself was not broken but the belt switch lever support had come out of its retaining clip and the result was the same as if the belt had broken. If you can remove the drum you should be able to see if it does have a broken belt switch. You should be able to bypass this switch and check the motor for rotation after the drum is removed. The door switch will also have to be bypassed for such a test
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply