Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
timabe  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 5:47:26 AM(UTC)
timabe

Groups: Registered

I’m stumped. I have a GE GSS22SGMBBS refrigerator that is making me crazy. Several months ago ice started forming on the ice chute, blocking the ice cubes from dispensing and ultimately causing the ice bucket and auger arm to lock up. Only a full thaw of the freezer would remove the build-up. I also noticed ice building up in the back of the freezer, so I assumed that the defrost heater (WR51X10101) was bad so I replaced it. Sure enough, the bulbs were burned out so it was a good repair. For kicks I also replace the ice bucket and auger assembly - not sure why but it seemed to make sense at the time.

The frost buildup in the ice chute returned about six hours after the repair was complete.

Next, I looked at the ice door assembly and realized that the flap was not sealing properly. So, I replaced the ice door assembly (WR17X11653), the crank (WR2X8818), the spring (WR02X10585) and the solenoid (WR62X10055). It all went back together perfectly and works great. I realized after testing that the solenoid has not worked properly for a LONG time – the ice door now has a satisfying thump when closing. Another good repair.

Six hours later the ice chute is covered in frost and ice is building up. No ice or frost anywhere else.

I am completely stumped and ready to just go buy and new refrigerator.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this issue?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Medics  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 8:50:41 AM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

The frost is definitely due to warm air entering the freezer. Its fairly common and by replacing the FLAPPER door should have taken care of the issue. I would make certain that it completely closes every time sometimes you can shine a flashlight in to see if any light passes through. Alternatively you can look up from the dispenser sign and normally see if there are any wrinkles in the new flapper causing the air to escape. if all else fails give it a couple days and look again sometimes it just takes time to completely adjust.
timabe  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 9:41:23 AM(UTC)
timabe

I did the flashlight test and there was definitely a sliver of light entering from the bottom third of the new flap. I took it apart and "strengthened" the spring by twisting it open. Put it back together and now there is no light seep. I'll let you know in about six hours if it worked! Thanks for the reply.
Appliance Medics  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:17:29 AM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

Glad I could be of assistance! Good luck
timabe  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:56:26 AM(UTC)
timabe

Woke up this morning to another frost buildup on the ice chute. No light is seeping through the flap.

What does the Heater Recess do? Could this part be bad and causing the ice build-up?

I did find that the door gasket is not fully sealing on the bottom right-had corner (about two inches vertical and horizontal) but there is no ice or frost forming in that area of the freezer.

I'm really stumped.
Appliance Medics  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 7:41:31 AM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

So that recess heater is typically for a different problem (water line in door freezing) this frost is still generating around the ice chute? And about how thick is the frost. Pictures if possible might be able to help
timabe  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 10:27:08 AM(UTC)
timabe

Just around the ice chute. Here is a pic.
Appliance Medics  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 12:16:27 PM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

OK last test I can think of... tape the flapper door shut for a day. Make sure all is completely surrounded and sealed tight. If the ice reoccurs we are getting warm air flow from some where else in the freezer. If it stays clear we know it is something to do with the flapper that is causing it wether it's hanging up from time to time or not sealing completelY I'm not sure but this way we can cross things off the list
timabe  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:22:49 AM(UTC)
timabe

Victory! It appears that the flapper door needed a few days to settle in. No ice or frost has formed on the ice chute over the last 36 hours.

Thanks @Appliance Medics for the help!
Appliance Medics  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:54:03 AM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

Glad to hear another happy customer! If your ever in the need for advice again like me on Facebook @ Appliance Medics LLC
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply