Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
patrick04  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:40:06 PM(UTC)
patrick04

Groups: Registered

Hi all, I'm new here, having trouble with my dishwasher, hope I am in the right place... The dishwasher is a Whirlpool, model WDF730PAYB6, about 1.5 years old, used daily. It suddenly stopped draining today. The symptoms are that water left is left in the bottom of the dishwasher after a cycle. When I press "cancel" to drain the dishwasher manually, it doesn't drain either. When it's trying to drain, the pump sounds like it's turning on, but it gives a quiet humming sound instead of the typical louder humming sound accompanied by moving water sounds. It doesn't sound like it normally does.

Here's what I've done to trouble shoot the problem:

1. Removed the drain hose at the connection to the garbage disposal to check the drainage flow rate. It's draining, but it's very slow, just a trickle. No obvious blockages at this connection.

2. Cleaned the dishwasher filters and removed all the water from the dishwasher basin and sump (using a cup and towels). The drain hole that goes from the sump to the drain pump is clear, no obvious blockages here either.

3. Removed the drain hose at the connection to the drain pump. No blockages there either.

4. Removed the drain pump and tested for continuity with a multimeter. It seems okay. The impeller is also giving some mechanical resistance when I spin it, it doesn't seem stripped, but then again I don't know how it's supposed to feel when you spin it.

5. The check valve is built into the elbow of the drain pipe right where it connects to the drain pump. Since I can't disassemble it to clean it, I stuck my finger in to feel for blockages. It feels alright, I didn't feel any bits of food or anything else that could be blocking it.

6. I ran the diagnostic mode. The only error code in memory was 6-6, which is inlet water temperature below 84 degrees. Not sure why that's there, maybe there was cold water one day after a shower. However, during the diagnostic mode run, the dishwasher started to give off a burning smell from its vent. I pressed "cancel" and looked inside. It appears that the calcium deposit buildup on the heating element turned brownish, so maybe it was giving off a burning smell? I'm ignorant on this topic, but here's a picture of what it looked like inside after this happened (yes, I need a water softener, that's next on my list): https://dl.dropboxus...WDF730PAYB6.JPG

I don't know what to do next. The drain pipes are the clear, corrugated type, and I can see that there are some grease deposits inside at various places, but not enough to cause a blockage. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 4:22:19 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool WDF730PAYB6 / Dishwasher - AppliancePartsPros.com

Below is a link to a manual.
It is not an exact match to your unit but the pump looks the same so it might be useful to you.
You will have to join the site and be logged in to be able to download it/.
http://appliancejunk.com...&id=229;t=1450702906

You seem to have done everything to check that the drain path is clead so the pump comes to the top of the list as the culprit.

The picture of the heating element does concern me so I would run one cycle before doing anything else just to be sure it is still working.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
patrick04  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2015 4:47:48 AM(UTC)
patrick04

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that a pump could need replacing just because it was weak, but after reading some reviews of the pump at the link you provided it seems like it's a possibility.

Should I replace the pump first, then run a cycle to see if the heating element is working? Or should I run the cycle to check the heating element right now? How can I tell if it's not working? I guess the inside of the dishwasher won't be warm after the cycle?

Also, I couldn't find the heating element replacement part at the link you provided. Is it available for sale?
patrick04  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2015 2:24:45 PM(UTC)
patrick04

The drain hoses were the problem... Installed new ones and it drains perfectly!

The two drain hoses were pretty clogged up, especially at the hose-to-hose connection. See photo below. I also posted a photo of the new and old hoses on the floor next to each other, so you can see how filthy the old hoses were. Maybe the check valve was also clogged up. It opened much wider after replacing the hoses then before (visually, I could see the flap or whatever open much more after replacing the hoses), but maybe that's because the blockages were gone.

Are clogged drain hoses like this a common problem? I've only been in this house a year and it was a brand new dishwasher. It looks like grease buildup, so I'm wondering if it was the hard water we have (about 20 gpg) or if maybe the dishwasher detergent we were using (a "natural" detergent, Ecover tablets) just wasn't doing a good job. Or I guess it could be the hard water combined with the detergent.

How can I prevent this from happening again?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
denman  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2015 2:55:18 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It may well have been due to the type of detergent you were using.

I always recommend using the old fashioned but in my opinion still the best powder.

If it is grease then you could try using either hi-temp or sanitize.
The extra heat should keep grease build up down.

For now I would use the unit with the same cycle/options with your new detergent and then check the hose for any build up at the plumbing end in 6 months.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply