Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pommi  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2015 9:08:43 AM(UTC)
pommi

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have a 30 plus Kenmore Coldspot 8609380 refrigerator that stopped working last week. It has come back several times since then, both the freezer and fridge get very cold. A few months ago I started hearing noises from it that sounded like a mouse got caught inside it - major squealing - and then stopped. It has been fine until last week. My husband wants to replace it but I hate giving up the good old workhorses from yesteryear.

I need help in finding the problem to see if it can be fixed. My husband is very hand and is experienced with electricity, etc. In fact, I encouraged him to use this site recently and he fixed a faulty heating mechanism in another refrigerator (that he wanted to throw out). I thank you very much for your guidance and input.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

CletusT  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2015 3:43:05 PM(UTC)
CletusT

This one was made when quality still went into producing appliances.
I would start by checking to see if both the condenser fan and the evaporator fan are coming on when the compressor starts. Either one could produce a squeal when they go out.
pommi  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2015 6:01:35 PM(UTC)
pommi

Thank you for your response, CletusT. During this week, the fridge came on and off several times. Right now it is not running at all. When it does come on, both the freezer and refrigerator blow cold air and all the jars in the fridge are cold. Then it will shut off and not come back on. Would it be the compressor itself and how do I check to see if it is still viable. Thank you.
CletusT  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2015 6:59:19 PM(UTC)
CletusT

You should also check under the back to ensure the condenser fan is coming on when the compressor comes on.
Sometimes, the compressor will just make a clicking noise over and over if it is out. The start relay on the side of the compressor should be checked too. I have seen the compressor just click and sometimes get hot when it tries to start
Your problem could also be the cold control thermostat located inside the fridge.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply