Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhigh2000  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 1:11:38 PM(UTC)
jhigh2000

Groups: Registered

I'm attempting to troubleshoot an intermittent (but more or less predictable) water fill issue with my 4 year old Whirlpool dishwasher.

I'm trying to determine if this is a failing water inlet valve (probably worth replacing) or control board issue (not worth replacing, given the cost of this dishwasher)

Here's a summary of what I have observed:

*Water fills correctly at start of cycle.

*After the first drain cycle, dishwasher does not fill water, but proceeds to wash cycle after normal water fill pause (with no water). Manually filling with water allows cycle to continue as normal.

*Subsequent drain cycles work as expected, but does not fill with water after draining.

*Cancelling the wash cycle after the first fill and then restarting the cycle right away also DOES NOT fill with water. If I wait approximately one hour and try again, the water fills correctly as stated above at the beginning of the cycle.

Does this sound like it could be a bad water inlet valve or is it most like a control board issue (my suspicion). Any other thoughts to troubleshooting ideas are welcome!

Thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 3:02:13 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi, jhigh2000.

There is a one digit missing at the end of the model number (Like 0,1,2,3, etc.) and, believe it or not, it makes a huge difference.

Thank you.

Simon.
jhigh2000  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:57:26 AM(UTC)
jhigh2000

Groups: Registered

Hi Simon,

I have look at all the usual places (top and side of door, user manual, etc) and cannot seem to find the missing digit. I only see the model number that posted. Is there another place I haven't thought of to look?

Thank you.

EDIT:
Found it! The model number is DU1014XTXB2
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:44:16 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

OK, let's fix your dishwasher.

You need to check the float mechanism, water inlet valve, control board and wire harness between them.
Remove the kick panel. The float switch is on the right, the inlet valve is on the left. Lift up and let go several times the float and make sure it's not missing the switch and also check the switch for continuity.
For that - unplug the dishwasher!!!
The switch should have continuity between the two terminals with wires when the lever is pressed and no continuity with lever released. Pull one wire off the terminal while checking. Do it several times in the row.
If switch checks out as functional, start with inlet valve. Run the dishwasher to the point where it supposed to fill right after the drain cycle is completed, and touch with the meter probes water inlet valve terminals. Don't use your fingers:). If within a couple of minutes you are getting 120 Volts AC but water does not enter the tub, replace the water inlet valve. If there is no 120 Volts, check the wire harness and connector at the control board and if all checks out normal - replace the control board.

Water inlet valve Part number: AP4500374
Part number: AP4500374

Float switch Part number: AP4566963
Part number: AP4566963

Control board Part number: AP5178148
Part number: AP5178148

Here is the breakdown diagrams and parts list

Model DU1014XTXB2

Good luck.

Keep us posted of the outcome.

Thank you.

Simon.