Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dbdata  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2015 5:00:32 PM(UTC)
dbdata

Groups: Registered

I posted this before but the thread died. No one else has seen this? The freezer is too cold and on it's warmest setting it only gets as high as 9 degrees. The Refrigerator, on it's COLDEST setting -- is 45 degrees.

The door seals are fine all around both doors.

I removed the rear panel in the freezer. The coils are pristine and the fan runs find. Which explains why the freezer IS getting really cold. The vent between the two is clear and clean and it opens and closes as you adjust the dial. When I remove it I can even see to the freezer side.

Down below, the return, is open. I pour water in the opening and it immediately collects in the bottom tray of the freezer -- so there IS circulation.

The fact that the freezer gets very cold (8 degrees) tells me that the cooling elements and hardware are all working fine ... and simply that not enough of that cold air gets to the refrigerator side

I'm temped to think that there is simply a cold-air circulation problem but the air circulation seems to be JUST the damper opening and the return opening -- so here is, I guess my question:

Since the freezer gets very cold - is it fair to say that the "cold control" (which looks like a conventional thermostat) is working properly?

If so, the last thing left in the entire system is the "control unit" But if the unit is functioning AT ALL .. doesn't that mean the control unit is fine as well?

I'm out of parts to check/inspect and also out of ideas.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:30:49 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find any info on th3 given model number.
Please check it.

I am not sure that you have a problem.
The freezer is not too cold.

The recommended temperature is 0 to 5 degrees F.
So set the thermostat to achieve this.

The fresh food should then set to the 38 to 40 degree area.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
dbdata  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:24:31 AM(UTC)
dbdata

Groups: Registered

The correct model number is ED5RHAXNQ00

As far as how to set the thermostat I don't think you're getting the picture here: The WARM is not warm enough and the COLD is too cold.

I'm great with the freezer being ABLE to get to 5 degrees - but 5 degrees shouldn't be the warmest setting of which the device is capable. In fact 5 degrees is so cold that the Ice cream freezes as solid as ice and can't be scooped AT ALL. Even a little. At BEST in has to be sawed with an electric knife. Thermometers not withstanding - that is a good, practical definition of "too cold."

Conversely, the refrigerator setting "coldest" produces barely 40 degrees, when it SHOULD be able to be adjusted between the range of {something like} 34 to 40

I took the vent apart last night and learned that the thermostat sensor tube is wrapped around the upper vent's plastic grille. This means that the FREEZER temp adjust opens & closes the vent between the compartments (in other words it adjusts how much cold air enters the refrigerator) while the REFRIGERATOR temp control is a thermostat that measures the temperature OF that air.

Unless I'm missing a piece of engineering, this tells me that the refrigerator temperature will always be relative to how cold the freezer's air is.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply