Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Blurr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:17:27 AM(UTC)
Blurr

Groups: Registered

The motor pulley is tight, the tensioner pulley spins freely, and the tensioner still puts plenty of tension on the belt. What could cause the belt to keep coming off? The dryer will work fine for a few loads then the belt kicks off.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

thorning  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:40:10 PM(UTC)
thorning

It sounds crazy to suggest it but is it possible you have the belt on the pulley which ends up facing the drum the wrong way. The grooves of the belt must wrap around the grooves of the pulley. Another possibility is your support rollers are worn badly and allow the drum to bounce around. I have never had a belt come off that was installed properly in over 50 dryers I have worked on in the last 3 or 4 years. How old is the dryer and was the belt replaced prior to this problem ? Also is the belt the proper size for your dryer in length and width(number of grooves---some are 4 groove and some are 5 groove)
Blurr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:59:20 PM(UTC)
Blurr

The belt popped off for the first time a couple weeks ago after years of faithful service. I'll check and verify that the grooved side of the belt is what is wrapping around the motor pulley, I'm 99% sure it is.

Good suggestion on the support rollers. My wife said the last load in the dryer was larger than normal. Perhaps that caused the drum to bounce around a little more and work the belt off the pulley or tensioner. I'll check for abnormal wear on the rollers

Dryer is probably 6-8 years old and has been using the same belt as long as I have owned it (about 3 years)
thorning  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:15:45 PM(UTC)
thorning

Unless the belt has stretched a lot over years of use which is not likely it should not come off the pulley. The belts used on dryers are under a lot of tension and your idler pulley/spring may be weak . If it is a coil spring type it may have stretched. If it is a type that is merely a piece of spring steel it will likely break before it is not applying tension on to the belt. Wear does occur on the support rollers but not that much to cause a belt to jump off.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply