Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gutliaed  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:49:55 AM(UTC)
gutliaed

Groups: Registered

My refrigerator compressor started short cycling in the last week or so. Basically it runs for 30-60 seconds, briefly clicks off, then restarts right away. It is cooling but not completely (frig temp was 51 and freezer was 29).

First, I cleaned all the coils and checked the fan and it didn't help.

I had a refrigerator repair guy out, who told me it was the invertor box and wanted to charge me $400 to replace. This guy didn't test anything with meters or anything, even when I asked him to. He stated he knew this was the problem.

When I was opening up the back of the frig myself to see if I could replace the inveror box myself, I unplugged it for about 20 minutes and had jiggled some of the connections to the box while inspecting it. When I plugged the frig back in, it seemed to run well. in fact it ran straight for several hours, which I figured was it's effort to cool to the proper temps. It did get to normal temps then. It ran normally for about 24 hours, then began short-cycling again.

I ended up finding the invertor box myself for $155.51 and replaced it. Again, it ran normally for awhile, but only 3 hours or so, when it began the same short-cycling.

Please help with any ideas of what this may be and how to test for it! Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.