Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
troxel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:43:42 AM(UTC)
troxel

Groups: Registered

Dryer was working fine and went on vacation for a week. Came home and the timer will not advance. Ran for a couple of hours before I noticed it, and the clothes were still damp. I started to troubleshoot it from online sources and done a variety of testing. I just replaced the igniter about a 2 months ago, and cleaned out the vent and hose, so I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem.

Finally, checked the hose and vent, and found a rabbit in the dryer. I was able to rescue the rabbit, and thought that was my problem, but the problem still exists.

Here is what I have done so far:
1. Checked vent and hose. Was blowing outside and melting snow around it.
2. Checked gas valve solenoids. Found this article and everything checked (link)
3. Clean lint filter and sensor
4. Tested continuity on the high limit thermostat out of circuit and tested good.
5. Tested continuity on the cycling thermostat out of circuit and tested good. Even put it on a griddle set at 220 and it triggered off at 220.

What else could cause this problem? It looks like the flame is coming on for a bit and then shutting off and repeats the process.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:27:27 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Does timer advance when set to timed dry cycle?

The thermostat that cuts off at 220° is the hi limit, not cycling. The cycling thermostat is on the blower housing and switches at 155° and back at 130°.

Do you have flame from gas or are you just seeing the glow of the igniter? Sounds like dryer is not heating in which case the timer is not going to advance when set to auto dry.

Just because exhaust air is melting the snow, doesn't mean air is "hot". If it's 68° in your house, that's going to melt the snow. Exhaust temp at dryer outlet should be around 140° if dryer is heating properly.

Eric
troxel  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:42:34 AM(UTC)
troxel

Thanks for the response.

The timer did move and dryer worked when it was in timed cycle. Does this mean I need to investigate the sensor and/or wiring?

When the dryer is in auto the flame is going on and off during the cycle.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:25:32 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

So, it's drying now in auto dry but timer won't advance? Open control panel and disconnect blue wire from control board. If timer still does not advance in auto dry, board is bad. If it does advance, try cleaning the sensor bars.

Eric
troxel  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:28:46 AM(UTC)
troxel

The dryer works fine in time cycle. If it is in auto cycle, the timer does not advance, the burner cycles on and off, but the clothes do not dry. They were still pretty damp after it ran for two hours.

I will dry disconnecting the blue wire and will report back on my findings.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:59:11 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

The burner should cycle on/off regardless if it's in timed dry or auto dry. Are you saying it's not cycling when in timed dry? The only difference between timed dry and auto dry is the way power is applied to the timer motor for advancing the timer. There is no difference in the way the heat circuit operates other than the fact that a different part of the timer cams are operating the timer contacts, so you may have a faulty timer.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply