Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Junw  
#21 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:32:59 AM(UTC)
Junw

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your good advice. The temperature in the freezer after measurement is 26F (or -3.3C).
Junw  
#22 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:07:47 PM(UTC)
Junw

The condenser fan never stops running and the compressor is very hot - too hot to touch with hand. When I put my hand in front of the fan I did not feel a strong air flow even though the fan ran relatively fast.

The freezer has been working fine without frost since the defrost thermostat was replaced.

I also measured the contunuity of the compressor - the resistance between the three prongs. All three results around 10 ohms.

Anything should I do with the compressor, the condenser fan or the start device of the compressor?
denman  
#23 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2013 2:10:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I thought something sounded wrong as the freezer temperature is way too warm.

Here is a site with info on how to check the compressor.
How To Fix a Refrigerator - Appliance Repair Guide - ACME HOW TO.com

Before starting the testing short your meter leads together so you can see if there is any zero offset in the meter.
Also use it's most sensitive resistance scale.

Note that the testing of the compressor windings is not definitive.
In other words it can tell you if the compressor windings are bad but does not tell you that the compressor is good as it may have internal mechanical problems.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Junw  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:56:11 PM(UTC)
Junw

Hi Denman,

Sorry for not having sent any feedback since reading your comments several days ago. After running the refrigerator continuously as a trial for these days, I would like to provide a more accurate description of the problem as follows:

After the defrost thermostat was replaced, no frost has been built up. Both the freezer and the fridge work at proper temperature. The only problem now is the noise which never stops - sometimes high sometimes low. I had thought the compressor stopped running and only the condenser fan was running (determined by visual) when the noise became low. But that might not be true as I could feel slight vibration of the copper tube connecting between the compressor and the condenser. Looks like the vibration came from the compressor (is it right?).

Do you think I should worry even though the food in the freezer is frozen and in the fridge is cool? If so, what is the cause and how it should be fixed?

I think the compressor is working at normal temperature (having compared with other running compressors).

Thanks in advance for your kind advice.
denman  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:39:19 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]I had thought the compressor stopped running and only the condenser fan was running (determined by visual) when the noise became low. But that might not be true as I could feel slight vibration of the copper tube connecting between the compressor and the condenser. Looks like the vibration came from the compressor (is it right?).[/COLOR]
The compressor will vibrate when it is running.
I would try to locate what is causing the noise re: hi/low volumes.
Could it be the evaporator/freezer fan?

[COLOR="Blue"]Do you think I should worry even though the food in the freezer is frozen and in the fridge is cool? If so, what is the cause and how it should be fixed?[/COLOR]
You did not say if the compressor and it's fan is running all the time.
If it is then you still have a problem.
It should cycle on/off as it maintains the set point temperatures in the unit.
Since the evaporator coils are now not heavily iced up this could be caused by a sealed system problem or may be that the doors are not sealing correctly.

If the unit is cycling then the unit is probably OK but I cannot say for sure without actually being there.
Junw  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:19:06 AM(UTC)
Junw

The condenser fan is running all the time (by visual and by noise). But I am not 100% sure whether or not the compressor is running all the time. I thought so as I could feel slight vibration when I touched the copper tube connecting to it even when the noise became low. Do you have any suggestion what else I can do to determine whether or not the compressor is running constantly?

Anything else (defrost thermostat, electircal control etc.) that can cause the compressor running all the time besides the door seals?
denman  
#27 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:27:17 AM(UTC)
denman

If the condenser/compressor fan is running then the compressor should be running as they are wired in parallel.

Check the freezer temperature. It should be between 0 and 5 degrees F.
If it is lower than that could be why the compressor is running all the time re: it is trying to reach a set point temperature but since that temperature is too low it cannot get there.
This type of problem is related to temperature control.

Remove the cover inside the freezer and check the evaporator coils.
They should have a fairly even coating of frost.
If therer is frost in only one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then you have a sealed system problem.
This will ber an expensive repair as you need a pro.
Be sure that the compressor has run for at least an hour otherwise you may come to the wrong conclusion.
Junw  
#28 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:41:52 PM(UTC)
Junw

The control is set at 2F for Freezer and 38F for fresh food compartment.
A thermometer was placed in the freezer for about an hour and showed the temperature is about -8F. Apparently it is too low.

Is there anything wrong with the electronic control? How to diagnose it or test it? Or, can I simply adjust the temperature on the control panel display to fix the problem?

I guess there might be three control boards in the refrigerator - one behind ice maker, one behind ice maker sensor in the freezer and one behind the control panel display in the fridge. Which one could cause the compressor constantly running?
denman  
#29 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 2:36:16 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Is there anything wrong with the electronic control?[/COLOR]
Yes it is a possibility.

[COLOR="Blue"]How to diagnose it or test it?[/COLOR]
Try running the diagnostics that I included as an attachment in an earlier post.
The thermistor tests are important.
You could also check them with a meter.

[COLOR="Blue"]
Or, can I simply adjust the temperature on the control panel display to fix the problem?[/COLOR]
This is what I would do first to see if it will start regulating the temperatuer and start cycling as it normally should.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Which one could cause the compressor constantly running?[/COLOR]
The control board is under the unit in the machine compartment.Go to the Sears parts site and look in the Unit Pars section. The board is marked as Item 19.
Sears does not share it's part breakdown diagrams with other vendors so you cannot see the breakdown in AppliancePartsPros.
Junw  
#30 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 8:02:01 AM(UTC)
Junw

Adjustment of the temperature did not make any change. The compressor still keeps running and freezer is too cold.

Running Steps 1 and 2 based on your tech sheet. Both show "1". Checked resistance of the thermistor: about 2.5~2.7 ohms at 80F+.

The tech sheet from another source says defective thermistor is the possible cause of a freezer being too cold.

Do you think I might not have done correcctly in testing the thermistor or have missed something?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply