Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AaronGo  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 5:28:19 PM(UTC)
AaronGo

Groups: Registered

I have a Kitchen Aid side-by-side refrigerator with an 8-cube ice maker. The fridge model # is KSRG25FTS01. Icicles started forming underneath the ice maker a few weeks ago, so I took a hair dryer and thawed out the ice that had formed underneath the ice mold. Once I had all the ice thawed, I noticed that some of the coating (some teflon coating I assume?) on the right-side mold was starting to peel off. That coincides with ice cubes not completely coming out of the right side of the mold unit. Many times I would raise the plastic door and would see an ice cube stuck on the right side of the unit.

Here is my theory...the teflon coating peeling off is causing the ice cube to get partially stuck in that individual mold, which is causing water to overflow onto the area underneath the mold. This ice slowly builds up and begins overflowing to the area beneath the ice maker, leading to the icicles.

If I am right, then I have two options. Replace the mold unit with a new one (Whirlpool W10190929 Mold-Ice - AppliancePartsPros.com) or replace the entire ice maker unit. That is $40 vs $120.

Any other ideas about why the icicles are forming? The ice maker makes ice great now that I thawed the unit out, but I can see little icicles forming again. Those will slowly become bigger. Plus I can feel ice underneath the mold area from overflowing water, which I doubt is supposed to be there. It wasn't making icicles up until ~4 weeks ago and was working perfectly. Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.