Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#21 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 5:31:35 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dvinyard Go to Quoted Post
...ignition, flame, runs for a min or two then flame out...

Hi Derek,

If this is the only problem then there is nothing wrong. Flame normally is cycling on and off. If it stays on for about 2 minutes at the very first time and then it stays on for about a minute then everything is fine. The flame should light up every time when the igniter glows.

If the picture with your dryer is different, post detailed description and we will go from there. Don't forget to post the complete model number of the dryer.

Gene.
dvinyard  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:04:28 AM(UTC)
dvinyard

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Hi Derek,

If this is the only problem then there is nothing wrong. Flame normally is cycling on and off. If it stays on for about 2 minutes at the very first time and then it stays on for about a minute then everything is fine. The flame should light up every time when the igniter glows.

If the picture with your dryer is different, post detailed description and we will go from there. Don't forget to post the complete model number of the dryer.

Gene.

Gene, my Model # is Whirlpool LGR4634JT2. PLEASE BEAR WITH THE LONG REPLY BUT I THINK IT WILL BE WORTH IT.

I put your reply in bold for good reason as in all the threads about this problem the cycling of the flame being normal was never really pointed out and wasn't readily apparent to me.
This made me think that the flame "on for two minutes" was a problem in and of itself. See when my dryer was "short cycling" it was doing so REGARDLESS of whether the DRUM was EMPTY or full of WET CLOTHING. I point this out for good reason and will explain below.

To get by with the household laundry while researching parts/options, etc (like many others I would imagine), I would turn the dryer on with clothing in and monitor the flame via a mirror that I fashioned in front of the inspection window toward the bottom of my dryer. If the flame was out and not reigniting I would turn the dryer to AIR FLUFF to let the dryer "rest" and keep the clothes circulating in the air that was still warm. After five or so minutes I would turn the dryer back to a heat setting and wait to make sure the flame started up again. Painstakingly monotonous to be sure, but it worked and I think I actually used less gas and less dryer time to dry my clothes, lol.

Once I did the repair (Both Coils, Flame Sensor, and Ignitor), I started the dryer EMPTY and much to my dismay watched the flame go on for two minutes and then go off. This point is important because it never dawned on me that the flame is supposed to cycle and an empty dryer reaches operating temperature much faster than one full of wet clothes. (cue the laughter, lol). Impatient, I never stuck around to see if the flame reginited. Daunted, I put a FULL LOAD OF WET CLOTHES in the dryer because I still had laundry to do and sat down in front of the computer to read more and more of these forums. I kept checking the dryer flame and it was still burning after 5 minutes. I then sat down in front of the dryer and watched the flame burn steadily for another 15 minutes straight!!!! It then went out for 3 or 4 but this time I stuck around to see it reignite! Eureka!!! Stupid me for not being patient and not thinking of the dryer as similiar to an air conditioner, cycling on and off to maintain a set temperature. This I am pointing out because I think others may be using the same flawed reasoning.

This lead to my below method for assessing if the dryer repair worked (feel free to disagree of course):

If you are testing your dryer repair
WITH AN EMPTY DRUM, the flame should only run for a minute or two and then cycle off for up to five (5).

In my opinion if you want to fully test your repair and gauge the longevity of the flame burn, load the dryer with a FULL LOAD OF WET CLOTHES.
I have found that this will result in the flame cycle being on FOR UP TO 20 MINUTES, as the dryer attempts to reach an operating temperature while battling against the wet clothing.

Hopefully you agree with my assessment Gene, and while it may seem like common sense to some, I hope this helped others and potentially might be pointed out as an alternate troubleshooting method with regard to assessing the coils, etc.

Gene please feel free to rebut. :D

Thanks, Derek
Gene  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:09:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Derek,

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your diagnosis with us. Your post was very illuminating and instructive. It will help many other people with similar problems.

Thanks again and good luck with your dryer.

Gene.
Gene  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:13:25 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Dyoung70 Go to Quoted Post
I too had the same problem...whirlpool lgn1000pq gas dryer...igniter will light flame from cold start...flame runs 5-10 minutes then goes out...never to light again unless left off for a long period...have cleaned entire exhuast system and inside of dryer...have replaced the two gas coils...still same problem....
Any ideas...flame sensor? Thermal Cutoff?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay.

The problem you described is one of most common with all gas dryers. The solution is to replace the gas valve coils.

- The coil kit Part number: AP3094251
lilywhite  
#25 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:43:23 AM(UTC)
lilywhite

I have different whirlpool dryer (LGR4634EQ3) and has same issue, I can see the flame during start of cycle and during the cycle for short periods, but it is not drying the clothes.
yesterday I have changed the Thermal fuse and high limit Thermostat, No lint (Exhaust is clean) it improved a little but still not as perfect as it was a week ago.
Need help to fix the issue
Gene  
#26 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:08:21 PM(UTC)
Gene

Disconnect the vent hose at the back of the dryer and run a load.

If you will see real difference, the house vent line is clogged somewhere.

If nothing changed and the air flow is good but the air is not hot enough, replace the cycling thermostat.

- The cycling thermostat Part number: AP3131939
lilywhite  
#27 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:20:49 PM(UTC)
lilywhite

I have changed biut still It didn't work, clothes are hot but not dry, even I ran two cycle
dvinyard  
#28 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:19:09 PM(UTC)
dvinyard

Hi Derek,

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your diagnosis with us. Your post was very illuminating and instructive. It will help many other people with similar problems.

Thanks again and good luck with your dryer.

Gene.

Gene thank you, especially for taking the time to help all of us DIYers out on this forum. You are a patient man.
lilywhite  
#29 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 9:33:40 AM(UTC)
lilywhite

Disconnect the vent hose at the back of the dryer and run a load.

If you will see real difference, the house vent line is clogged somewhere.

If nothing changed and the air flow is good but the air is not hot enough, replace the cycling thermostat.

- The cycling thermostat Part number: AP3131939

I have change cycling thermostat but still same issue, even after running two cycles clothes are wet, they are hot but not dry.
Gene  
#30 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 3:38:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

...Disconnect the vent hose at the back of the dryer and run a load...

Did you do it?

If not, then you have to.

If you did, what was the result?

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply