Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
macdod  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:42:20 AM(UTC)
macdod

Groups: Registered

Thanks so much for all of your feedback on this. I'll let you know if we come up with the solution to this problem.
vrod1234  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:03:26 AM(UTC)
vrod1234

Originally Posted by: macdod Go to Quoted Post
New Whirlpool side by side (GSS30C6) installed last week. Ice and water dispenser work fine but water is 65 degrees F. Manual says it should be 50 degrees on "most models". Water temp fine in old fridge so not a water line/pipe problem. Rechecked installation on bottom front panel under door - looks right. Fridge temp 36 degrees. Called Whirlpool - they don't think there's a problem - 50 degrees is an average - and said service call likely at our expense. Can't find anything online where someone has similar problem. Should this brand new expensive fridge be dispensing lukewarm water or does it sould like something is wrong with this particular fridge? Is there something we can do or should I insist on a service call?

I am also having a problem with the temperature of the water my whirlpool 30 cu ft side by side is dispensing. Whirlpool also told me if they send out a service tech and he feels the temp of the water is deemed normal by him they will charge me for the visit. Have you ever solved your problem? If so, how?
Thanks,
vrod
macdod  
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:31:29 AM(UTC)
macdod

I'd given up working with Whirlpool on this problem and then we heard a loud "explosion" coming from inside the the fridge and I called and Whirlpool agreed to send a repairman to check that out. Turns out there are some spots that are extra cold in the fridge and a can of pop had frozen and the whole top of the can literally blew off. Because this fridge is so deep and the can stayed upright with the contents frozen I didn't even notice that this had happened until after I requested the service call. The repairman told me to raise the temperature in the fridge. Since he was there anyway I asked about the water temperature problem and he agreed that we should get more than a few ounces of chilled water. They called their service contact at Whirlpool (too bad the Whirlpool customer service reps can't do that), who agreed that this sounded wrong and they ordered a new water reservoir (part# W10366790) thinking it may have had some kind of blockage which apparently it did. The new reservoir helped, but according to the repairman the fact is that due to the way this fridge is designed, the first few ounces of water are always going to be lukewarm because that is the water already in the line. After you get past that first glass of water you then should be getting a couple of glasses of actually chilled water but that's it because the reservoir is not very big. The only solution they had to increase capacity would be to replace the reservoir with the coiled tubing you find in other models but that would void the warranty so they advised against doing that until the warranty expired. It was disappointing but at least I know that it's now working the way it's supposed to. I hope this helps you determine if you have a problem with the water reservoir. FYI - I pulled out the snack drawer last week and the left side just cracked open. Whirlpool says that this is not covered by the warranty but said they would send a new drawer to compensate me for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, the replacement was broken during the shipping process. I'm calling tomorrow to try and get another replacement but I'm afraid they may not be so "generous" a second time.

Good Luck
macdod
ApplianceJunk  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:49:58 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: macdod Go to Quoted Post
Thanks so much for all of your feedback on this. I'll let you know if we come up with the solution to this problem.

So what did you end up doing to get it corrected?
vrod1234  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:18:17 AM(UTC)
vrod1234

Thank you for your quick reply. I don't understand why, if a Whirlpool tech installs the coiled tubing, it would void the warranty. I am calling them tomorrow and will let you know what they say. WE love the fridge but lukewarm water out of the dispenser is a downer. To spend this kind of $$$ on a fridge and have this kind of problem is unacceptable. It's not like water dispensers on the door is a NEW feature. If Whirlpool doesn't step up I will probably return the fridge.
Vrod
sharons11157  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:35:04 PM(UTC)
sharons11157

I'm also having the problem of the water not being cold. But my problem just started, since it was cold. We don't use the dispenser a lot, and I always get a glass of water before bed. But this time it wasn't cold. So don't let these guys play these guessing games. I'll check it out and get back to you.
vrod1234  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:05:51 PM(UTC)
vrod1234

I have had our appliance repair man here three (3) times. They are insistant that on this model, due to its design, the first 6 oz of "cold" water will be basically at room temperature. The next glass will be cold. They say this was due to this model having a smaller storage area to allow for more space in the Fridge.
zhengfangchen  
#18 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:21:26 PM(UTC)
zhengfangchen

I bought a new side by side stainless steel Whirlpool, the water dispensed from freezer door is not cold at all no matter how many cups of water I dispensed; this is a brand new refrigerator, my previous Whirlpool refrigerator (much old model) was much better, it always gave me cold water no matter how many cups water I dispensed; based on so many discussions on this topic here, I believe this is their design defect. Don't want to drive myself crazy, I decide to dispense some ice on the cup first, then dispense some water, that way I definitely get cold water.
Jacilyn01  
#19 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:44:43 PM(UTC)
Jacilyn01

I am having this same problem but my fridge is not getting cold either. Everything but the freezer is warm?!
Jeff / APP Team  
#20 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 2:35:19 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Hello Jacilyn01. Check and make sure the evaporator fan motor inside the freezer is running. If not, and there is voltage to it, you will need to order and replace the evaporator fan motor. If it is running, look for frost build up on the back wall. If there is frost, the It sounds like you may have a defrost problem with the unit. Check and see if there is any frost build up on the back wall of the freezer. If so, you will need to test the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat. They should read closed for continuity when cold. You can test this with a multi-meter [AP3873826]. I will include a link at the end to assist you how to use the multi-meter if needed. If both parts are good, you will need to replace the defrost timer. Once the problem is repaired, you will need to thaw out the ice on the coils before the unit will operate properly. http://forum.appliancepartspros...continuity-ohmmeter.html
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply