Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richappy  
#21 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:57:09 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
They recommend a average temperature of 40 degrees in the fridg to preserve food. You can put a cheap digital meter in there that will sense and store the high and low temperatures, or you can just see if your milk spoils after a relatively short period of time!
Another thing, compressors will be hard starting during high temperature conditions, so you could cool the compressor and condenser with a portable fan, just might work.
SteveDB  
#22 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:01:18 PM(UTC)
SteveDB

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
They recommend a average temperature of 40 degrees in the fridg to preserve food. You can put a cheap digital meter in there that will sense and store the high and low temperatures, or you can just see if your milk spoils after a relatively short period of time!
Another thing, compressors will be hard starting during high temperature conditions, so you could cool the compressor and condenser with a portable fan, just might work.

hi.
Ok, what kinds of temps?
While it's in the low 90's, upper 80's now, we keep the house at 70-80 degrees.
The location of the freddie is on the west side of the house, but we have 6 inch walls, and good insulation-- and the house is only 11 years old.
Again, thanks for your time. I appreciate it.
richappy  
#23 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 12:56:03 AM(UTC)
richappy

Remove the back panel and put a portable fan there to cool the condenser and compressor, see if that fixes the problem, you might have a bad condenser motor.
SteveDB  
#24 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2011 5:16:00 PM(UTC)
SteveDB

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Remove the back panel and put a portable fan there to cool the condenser and compressor, see if that fixes the problem, you might have a bad condenser motor.

Ok, now you're just trying to scare me.... :rolleyes:
I called a local appliance shop today, and they confirmed what you said about the compressor failing (doing the doctor thing-- getting multiple opinions, based on symptoms), based on the discussion you and I have had.

My father in law also reminded me this evening that we were told when we bought it that the compressors only last 7 years on these things. grrr....
I'd forgotten. Of course, not liking the idea of spending 1400 every 7 years helped me forget....

I guess it's time for a replacement compressor. Still less than a new one.
Thank you for your time, and willingness to help on this. I really appreciate it.
Best.
richappy  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:58:00 AM(UTC)
richappy

You are welcome.
richappy  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:37:54 AM(UTC)
richappy

You have an Amana refrigerator that is notorious for evaporator and tubing leaks. Your fridg is probably only worth $ 150 on the open market, might want to rethink getting it fixed.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply