Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LashLaRue  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:16:52 PM(UTC)
LashLaRue

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool Refrigerator
#ET21GKXHN00
Top Freezer Unit.

A little background.
-First off, everything has been inspected for ice build up and all passages inspected. Nothing is blocked. Coils and condenser area are clean.
-Refrig part(bottom)works great.
-Defrost timer was replace approximately 6 months ago.
-The defrost timers stops moving(gears inside)at time when the compressor cycles.
-Circulating fan in back of freezer stays on all the time. Compressor comes on and off and seems to function very well with the thermostat.
-At the recommended setting on the thermostat (refrig dial) the frig stays at about 30 degrees F. Turn it down, the frigs runs warmer and turn it up, the frigs runs colder.
-No matter where you put the dial on the freezer it seems to run around 20 degrees F until you get the frig colder than that. When the frigs goes below 20 degrees F then the freezer seems to stay right around the same temp as the frig.
-As stated above even when the compressor cycle off the circulating fan in the freezer stays on.
-The circulating fan stays on even when you turn the frig thermostat to the off position.

I really believe the circulating fan should be coming on and off with the compressor. It seems to me it should not be blowing the cold air from the freezer to the frig even when the compressor is not on.

Where does the circulating fan get its signal to come on and off?
Should the defrost timer stop(gears inside)at time when the compressor cycles?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:00:33 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert
You have been a member since:: 2/29/2008(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the parts breakdown
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ET21GKXHN00 | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

This may also come in handy
https://secured.whirlpool.com/Service/SrvTechAdm.nsf/2cd44500d572193285256a45004fd9d6/b3ebb43c05123bb185256a8e0050f068/$FILE/4322309.pdf

[COLOR="DarkRed"]A little background.
-First off, everything has been inspected for ice build up and all passages inspected. Nothing is blocked. Coils and condenser area are clean.[/COLOR]
I am assuming that you also checked the evaporator coils.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]-Refrig part(bottom)works great.[/COLOR]
I am confused on this see below.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]-Defrost timer was replace approximately 6 months ago.[/COLOR]
Did the fan run properly after the timer was replaced?
Has it ever run correctly?
It could be the timer was incorrectly installed but for the life of me I cannot figure how it could give the symptoms you report.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]-The defrost timers stops moving(gears inside)at time when the compressor cycles.[/COLOR]
This is normal timer is cumulative not continuous
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
-Circulating fan in back of freezer stays on all the time. Compressor comes on and off and seems to function very well with the thermostat.[/COLOR]
It is supposed to according to the wiring diagram in the tech sheet.
Does the condenser/compressor fan cycle with the compressor?
If yes then you have a short of a mis-wire somewhere.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]-At the recommended setting on the thermostat (refrig dial) the frig stays at about 30 degrees F. Turn it down, the frigs runs warmer and turn it up, the frigs runs colder.[/COLOR]
Something is weird here, at 30 degrees F food would freeze in the fresh food compartment. Fresh food side should be around 40 degrees F.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]-No matter where you put the dial on the freezer it seems to run around 20 degrees F until you get the frig colder than that. When the frigs goes below 20 degrees F then the freezer seems to stay right around the same temp as the frig.[/COLOR]
This is also weird as the freezer should run at 0 to 5 degrees F.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]-As stated above even when the compressor cycle off the circulating fan in the freezer stays on.
-The circulating fan stays on even when you turn the frig thermostat to the off position.[/COLOR]
Both the above point to a problem in the wiring.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Where does the circulating fan get its signal to come on and off?[/COLOR]
From the main thermostat through the defrost timer contacts.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Should the defrost timer stop(gears inside)at time when the compressor cycles?[/COLOR]
Yes

I do not know if I answered any questi0ns or just created more but something is very weird here.
File Attachment(s):
ET21G.pdf (117kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
LashLaRue  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:47:38 AM(UTC)
LashLaRue

On page 61, figure 75, inset 1.
-I don not have any "air return covers". There are just 2 square holes going through to the frig. You can stick you fingers from one compartment to the other. Is this normal?

-Replaced the defrost timer due to similiar problem, not sure if the problem was ever fixed. Freezer did seem to get to about 0 F for awhile. It was a simple plug in replacement, no wiring changes.

-Are you saying the fan in the freezer should be on all the time? I have a similiar unit (Kitchen Aid) that is basically the same. The fan in the freezer cycles on and off with the compressor. It also shuts off when the thermostat is turned off.

-The only coils I have checked are the ones in the back off the freezer because the refrig section seems to work perfectly with the thermostat.
Compressor works great. I know you don't want to but if you turn the refrig thermosts all the way down it will get the refrig section very cold.
You can make the refrig part stay anywhere from 45 f to down below 20 f depending on where you set the refrig thermostat.

-I've checked the function of the air dampener and it works perfectly.

-The only way I have found to make the fan in the freezer section go off it to unplug the whole unit from the wall. As soon as you plug it back in the fan comes back on.

-No wiring mods have ever be done on this unit withe the exception of the defrost timer change out which was unplug/replug replacement.

Again thanks for the help.
It is really appreciated.

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here is the parts breakdown
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ET21GKXHN00 | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

This may also come in handy
https://secured.whirlpoo...50f068/$FILE/4322309.pdf

A little background.
-First off, everything has been inspected for ice build up and all passages inspected. Nothing is blocked. Coils and condenser area are clean.
I am assuming that you also checked the evaporator coils.

I am confused on this see below.

Did the fan run properly after the timer was replaced?
Has it ever run correctly?
It could be the timer was incorrectly installed but for the life of me I cannot figure how it could give the symptoms you report.

-The defrost timers stops moving(gears inside)at time when the compressor cycles.
This is normal timer is cumulative not continuous

-Circulating fan in back of freezer stays on all the time. Compressor comes on and off and seems to function very well with the thermostat.
It is supposed to according to the wiring diagram in the tech sheet.
Does the condenser/compressor fan cycle with the compressor?
If yes then you have a short of a mis-wire somewhere.

-At the recommended setting on the thermostat (refrig dial) the frig stays at about 30 degrees F. Turn it down, the frigs runs warmer and turn it up, the frigs runs colder.
Something is weird here, at 30 degrees F food would freeze in the fresh food compartment. Fresh food side should be around 40 degrees F.

-No matter where you put the dial on the freezer it seems to run around 20 degrees F until you get the frig colder than that. When the frigs goes below 20 degrees F then the freezer seems to stay right around the same temp as the frig.
This is also weird as the freezer should run at 0 to 5 degrees F.

-As stated above even when the compressor cycle off the circulating fan in the freezer stays on.
-The circulating fan stays on even when you turn the frig thermostat to the off position.
Both the above point to a problem in the wiring.

From the main thermostat through the defrost timer contacts.

Yes

A little background.

I really believe the circulating fan should be coming on and off with the compressor. It seems to me it should not be blowing the cold air from the freezer to the frig even when the compressor is not on.

I do not know if I answered any questi0ns or just created more but something is very weird here.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:12:38 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]On page 61, figure 75, inset 1.
-I don not have any "air return covers". There are just 2 square holes going through to the frig. You can stick you fingers from one compartment to the other. Is this normal?[/COLOR]
The manual is generic so may not match your unit 100%
Later on you mention that the damper works so that area of the unit is probably OK.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]-Replaced the defrost timer due to similiar problem, not sure if the problem was ever fixed. Freezer did seem to get to about 0 F for awhile. It was a simple plug in replacement, no wiring changes.[/COLOR]
Has this unit ever worked correctly for you?
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
-Are you saying the fan in the freezer should be on all the time? I have a similiar unit (Kitchen Aid) that is basically the same. The fan in the freezer cycles on and off with the compressor. It also shuts off when the thermostat is turned off.[/COLOR]
No, the freezer fan should shut off when the compressor and it's fan shut off
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
-No wiring mods have ever be done on this unit withe the exception of the defrost timer change out which was unplug/replug replacement.[/COLOR]
Then I am stumped. I cannot see where that fan is getting power from.
All I can suggest is that you go through the physical wiring as show in the tech sheet to see if you can find the problem.
LashLaRue  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:21:22 AM(UTC)
LashLaRue

Just for clarification mine is a "Mid-Line Design" from the link I was sent.
Original defrost time had quit and was never working. Unit worked good before that but was not in use for a couple of years.

The defrost timer as a plug harness. Four tabs/contacts on the harness. There is also a little metal jumper between a couple of the tabs. If the jumper was in the wrong place could this cause the fan in the freezer to run all the time? Someone at work suggested this.

You can clearly hear the compressor cycle on and off. Theremstat works just like a on/off button depending on which way you move it.

I think we've narrowed the problem to the fan being on 24/7.

This seems to be my problem.
Thermostat hits its setting, compressor shuts off, fan keeps blowing the cold air from the freezer to the ice box.

On page 61, figure 75, inset 1.
-I don not have any "air return covers". There are just 2 square holes going through to the frig. You can stick you fingers from one compartment to the other. Is this normal?
The manual is generic so may not match your unit 100%
Later on you mention that the damper works so that area of the unit is probably OK.

-Replaced the defrost timer due to similiar problem, not sure if the problem was ever fixed. Freezer did seem to get to about 0 F for awhile. It was a simple plug in replacement, no wiring changes.
Has this unit ever worked correctly for you?

-Are you saying the fan in the freezer should be on all the time? I have a similiar unit (Kitchen Aid) that is basically the same. The fan in the freezer cycles on and off with the compressor. It also shuts off when the thermostat is turned off.
No, the freezer fan should shut off when the compressor and it's fan shut off

-No wiring mods have ever be done on this unit withe the exception of the defrost timer change out which was unplug/replug replacement.
Then I am stumped. I cannot see where that fan is getting power from.
All I can suggest is that you go through the physical wiring as show in the tech sheet to see if you can find the problem.
denman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:37:26 AM(UTC)
denman

I would check the timer.

The Red (compressor and it's fan) and and the Red/White (evaporator fan) should be connected to the same timer contact.

If the Red/White is connected through the jumper to the Black then that is the problem.
LashLaRue  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:33:14 PM(UTC)
LashLaRue

Thanks for the help. It was a broken wire where the freezer harness plugs into the unit. Not sure how it works but the evaparator fan must go off via some sort of signal received from the bimetal or defrost heater somehow.
Thanks again.

I would check the timer.

The Red (compressor and it's fan) and and the Red/White (evaporator fan) should be connected to the same timer contact.

If the Red/White is connected through the jumper to the Black then that is the problem.
denman  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:15:48 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply