Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<34567>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steelman  
#41 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:22:52 AM(UTC)
steelman

Groups: Registered

Hi, we've been having the same problem described in this thread with our Viking oven not heating up fast enough. We had it serviced a few years back and the guy replaced the ignitors and charged us $350, so doing it myself sounds like the right plan.

I opened the oven and removed the bottom panel to expose the ignitors just to see what the job looks like. And it looks fairly simple to remove and replace those ignitors.

However, I turned the oven on to observe what is happening. Both ignitors turned on and started glowing pretty well. After several minutes the flames finally lit on one side, but not the other. And even the flame that lit would die out and then restart, almost like it had a bad gas flow.

Is this a sympton of bad ignitors or is there possibly another problem I should look at?

Thanks!

Steve
Gene  
#42 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:17:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Steve,

If the igniter does not light the flame within 60-70 seconds then the igniter is bad.

Instead of paying to Viking very high price for the new igniters, you can use any flat igniter made by GE, Whirlpool or Frigidaire. They all are identical beside prices.

- The igniter Part number: AP2634719
Part number: AP2634719

Gene.
steelman  
#43 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 1:06:48 PM(UTC)
steelman

Thanks Gene. Will this part also replace the Viking Ignitor? It looks idential and I was told by someone else its the same part.

#12400035 Maytag Universal Flat Gas Range Oven Ignitor
Gene  
#44 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 1:29:18 PM(UTC)
Gene

Yes, it will. As I said - all flat oven igniters (excluding the igniters with blue ceramic) are the same.

But the igniter with the Part number: AP2634719
Part number: AP2634719

which I posted in my previous reply is more than $7 cheaper than the igniter with
the Part number: 12400035
Part number: 12400035

Gene.
Gene  
#45 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 9:25:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: knaqib@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
I just tried replacing the ignitors in my Viking Oven with two 12400035 parts. All went smoothly. However, both of them failed to light. Any idea what could be wrong? Someone mentioned to me that the ignitors can have different amperage (current) requirements, but I haven,t seen any spec. Also, do the wire connections have a polarity, or are they exchangeable??

What was the original problem with the oven? Did the old igniters (both) glow?

Gene.
KBSigX  
#46 Posted : Saturday, November 28, 2009 8:20:13 AM(UTC)
KBSigX

I recently replace my oven ignitor and found that getting the ignitor wires through the back of the oven was a bit difficult. I ended up fishing a guide wire through the back to guide the new ignitor wires back through. So here's my tip:

BEFORE removing the old ignitor from the oven, tape a 12/14(ish) gauge wire to the ends of the old ignitor wires at the back of the oven. Pull the old ignitor out, pulling the guide wire into the oven. Remove the tape from the old ignitor wires. Tape the new ignitor wires to the guide wire. Slowly pull the guide wire out of the oven (from the back) and your new ignitor wires should come along easily.

I have a Kitchen Aid (Model KGRT500BAL ) so your milage may vary. Hope this helps.

-Dave
flyingbird  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:25:03 PM(UTC)
flyingbird

I have Hotpoint oven that suddenly the automatic ignitor stopped lighting up the burners. The oven burners work fine, when I light them up with a lighter.

When I turned the burners on, I can hear the clicks of the ignitor but does not light up the burners.

Hotpoint Gas Oven
Model No. RGB628GEV4AD

I'm not sure if the problem is related to the burners or the ignitor or the burners. Any help and/or suggestion are appreciated
Gene  
#48 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:06:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: flyingbird Go to Quoted Post
I have Hotpoint oven that suddenly the automatic ignitor stopped lighting up the burners. The oven burners work fine, when I light them up with a lighter.

When I turned the burners on, I can hear the clicks of the ignitor but does not light up the burners.

Hotpoint Gas Oven
Model No. RGB628GEV4AD

I'm not sure if the problem is related to the burners or the igniter or the burners. Any help and/or suggestion are appreciated

The oven igniter does not click because this is a glow coil type of igniter. The top burners igniters do click and spark.

What exactly is wrong with your range? Are you having problems with the surface burners or with the oven?

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric RGB628GEV4AD Gas range | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
HondaJim  
#49 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:52:16 PM(UTC)
HondaJim

Does anyone know if the instructions for replacing the GE ignitor be simialr on a Kithcen Aid ignitor. I have a Kithcen Aid range Model KGST307Hbl4 and just ordered ignitor number AP3008600.
Thanks
Gene  
#50 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:37:35 PM(UTC)
Gene

Yes Jim. It's very similar.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Broiler and oven burner replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KGST307HBL4 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply