Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
masander  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:46:44 PM(UTC)
masander

Groups: Registered

My wife started filling our Kenmore 80 series (serial # 110.211882.001) top loader washer with the lid open and the control knob set at 8 minutes, and she walked away from it and was distracted for a few minutes. When she went back to the washer it was full of water, there was a strong smell of smoke and the washer wasn't doing anything. She tried the controls and nothing worked.
She manually drained most of the water out of the tub and on a whim she pulled the knob out to start it, the washer started to fill with water, so she shut it off and closed the lid and turned the knob halfway through the spin cycle, pulled the knob out and it drained the remaining water out of the tub.

What could have caused the smoke and the tub not to turn when it was filled with water? I'm thinking transmission and/or clutch, but then again I'm not a washing machine repairman.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any links to repairs guides will be even more appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:52:26 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Most probably your motor overheated and shut down. If you can use a meter with an amprobe, you could check the motor and timer. It is common for both the timer and motor to go bad for this type problem and the parts cost will be high.
It is also possible the pump got temporarily clogged and it is now ok. Just pull the pump and check.
masander  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:52:11 PM(UTC)
masander

I appreicate your response richappy. I have the pump and the motor off of the washer. The drive coupler looks good. Can't put my hands on a ampmeter right now. Will check the pump while I have it apart. Was reading your response to the post today about replacing the brakes on a washer. Do you think it's possible that this might be my problem also? It sounds way out of my skill set to attempt,and I would still have a 10 year old washer. Just thought I would ask.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 1:39:28 AM(UTC)
richappy

Turn the tranny coupler clockwise till the tranny goes into spin. If hard to turn with thumb and forefinger, you have sticking brake shoes.
masander  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 8:51:39 AM(UTC)
masander

I read your first reply to my post. I felt as though it couldn't be the pump because the washer filled with water. I assumed that my problem must be much more serious. So I grabbed a beverage and went out on the back porch and started surfing the forum for similar problems. I began reading your post about replacing the brakes on a washer. I just knew this had to be my problem and was way beyond my skill set. So dejected I went and got another beverage and sent you a post asking if this could be my problem.

Then the wife comes home and wants to know if I had gotten any replies from my post.
I tell her yes I got one response and had been doing more research and it wasn't looking too good.

So I grab another beverage and sit and think about how I hate to have to go out this weekend and buy a new washer. Then I decide what the heck I got the thing apart I might as well pull the pump off of it and check it out.

Pump looks good and I don't see anything blocking the hoses. So I start to put the hoses back on the pump and this half-moon shape piece of wire falls on the floor. I think great it fell off of the pump and I didn't see where it was attached. Then I get to looking at it and it seems strangely familiar. I realize its the under wire from a bra and that it fell out of the hose when I was reconnecting it.

Making a
real long story longer, I put the machine back together and run a load through it, problem solved. The wire apparently slipped down and locked the pump up.

You are the Man Richappy. Thank you so much for responding to my post and for the expert advice. I owe you one.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 12:56:54 PM(UTC)
richappy

Good work, persistence pays.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply