Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dr_Zoidberg57  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:22:54 AM(UTC)
Dr_Zoidberg57

Groups: Registered

I am visiting my parents and fixing their Whirlpool dishwasher is on my to-do list. It is an 11 y/o Model DU840DWGX1. The soap/detergent dispenser will not open. I took apart the door assembly and the release is free of any obstructions and there appear to no broken parts. If I manually advance the timer dial, the door will pop open at what I'm guessing is the appropriate time during the cycle. However, after putting everything back together, the dispenser still will not open during when the machine is in operation.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next? I've checked similar posts and really didn't find any solutions.

I greatly appreciate any assistance as my folks are in their 80's.

Gerry
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:09:55 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dr_Zoidberg57 Go to Quoted Post
I am visiting my parents and fixing their Whirlpool dishwasher is on my to-do list. It is an 11 y/o Model DU840DWGX1. The soap/detergent dispenser will not open. I took apart the door assembly and the release is free of any obstructions and there appear to no broken parts. If I manually advance the timer dial, the door will pop open at what I'm guessing is the appropriate time during the cycle. However, after putting everything back together, the dispenser still will not open during when the machine is in operation.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next? I've checked similar posts and really didn't find any solutions.

Gerry

Gerry,

For starters,

Does the timer advance on it's own, and through the whole cycle ?

Also check, and make sure the lower rack is in properly, and rolling back as far as possible.

Also make sure there's nothing large in the racks in the detergent cup area, blocking the door.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
Dr_Zoidberg57  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:31:22 PM(UTC)
Dr_Zoidberg57

Joe;

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, the timer does appear to be working just fine. The only apparent problem that i can find is the soap dispenser not opening. As far as i can tell, there is nothing blocking it from opening.

Gerry
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:02:24 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Gerry

Gerry,

Here's the dispenser operation sequence, using the timer dial as the indicator.

1. At 12 o’clock position - Draw bars
will move upward causing the
detergent actuator assembly to
release the latch and detergent
cup should open.
2. At 4 o’clock position - Draw bars
will again move upward causing
the wetting agent actuator to
release wetting agent.
3. From the 6 o’clock position to the
8 o’clock position the draw bars
are driven down to reset the

mechanism.

You may want to varify everything again.

I don't hear anything wrong, yet.

You didn't find anything broken and it opened when you manually advanced the timer.

Try this :

Remove both the racks,

Put detergent in the cup and close / latch the cup cover.

Start the dishwasher at the" Light Wash "setting and let it run to the "Dry" setting or off.

Check and see if the detergent door opened,

That way we can get a better idea of which direction we need to go.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Dr_Zoidberg57  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:48:59 AM(UTC)
Dr_Zoidberg57

Joe;

Again, thank you for the response. What I found, manually advancing the timer dial, is that the door opens when the dial is at the 11:00 position. I can hear and see the latching mechanism reset when the dial reaches approximately the 12 to 1 position. In any event, I will try your suggestion to run it through a cycle with the rack in it and report back.

Thank you again for your help.

Gerry
Dr_Zoidberg57  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:38:07 PM(UTC)
Dr_Zoidberg57

Well, at least on this run through, the dispenser did open without the bottom rack in place. Of course now my father mentions that he thinks the problem is intermittent. In any event, I will run another light cycle with the rack in place to see what happens.
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:31:24 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Well, at least on this run through, the dispenser did open without the bottom rack in place. Of course now my father mentions that he thinks the problem is intermittent. In any event, I will run another light cycle with the rack in place to see what happens.

OK,

Honestly, it sounds like a loading problem or the rack is in wrong(backwards) or not going back all the way,due to something in/on the track or back wall.

Good Luck,
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Krotz  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:16:23 AM(UTC)
Krotz

I had the same problem, and it was driving me crazy. I finally solved the problem....what I had done was accidentally turned the bottom rack 180 degrees when I was cleaning the bottom of the dishwasher. Even though it fits perfectly both ways, it turns out that one way goes in about 3/4" more, which is just enough for the soap dispenser to open a bit and let the soap out.

It sounds like you've already checked this, but I thought I'd add my two cents just to see if it helps....

Good luck!
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:34:28 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: Krotz Go to Quoted Post
I had the same problem, and it was driving me crazy. I finally solved the problem....what I had done was accidentally turned the bottom rack 180 degrees when I was cleaning the bottom of the dishwasher. Even though it fits perfectly both ways, it turns out that one way goes in about 3/4" more, which is just enough for the soap dispenser to open a bit and let the soap out.

It sounds like you've already checked this, but I thought I'd add my two cents just to see if it helps....

Good luck!

Krotz,

Thanks for the "back up".

We haven't heard back from him, so I guess he figured it out.

It was a pretty common occurrence, even repairmen made that mistake.

Thanks again,
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Uday Kalathia  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 8:55:42 AM(UTC)
Uday Kalathia

Thanks for the suggestion. The little lid on the tray was open and it physically prevented the soap door from opening when the dishwasher door was shut.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply