Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PJD  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:43:30 PM(UTC)
PJD

Groups: Registered

Our 1987 Whirlpool Imperial has served us well until a recent issue with a too-warm freezer. With all other systems apparently OK after inspection, I removed the back panel of the freezer and found frost/ice buildup at the upper left hand corner of the evaporator coil unit that had actually encased the nearby wiring (The side-by-side entry and exit points of the coil were at the core of the frozen area).

The evaporator fan was running and almost the entire coil was unobstructed. It appeared that moist air had been entering from the openings behind the ice maker (which is not leaking and functioning fine) and permitting the accumulation.

I used a hair dryer to defrost and confimed I have flow from the drain hole below the coil to the catch pan underneath the refrigerator. I did note evidence of a prior long term plugged hole (rust on the back lower center of the freezer panel I removed.). It is possible the hole was plugged until I began using the hair dryer.

To overkill on the solution, I intend to replace the defrost timer, defrost thermostat and the seals on both refrigerator and freezer doors.

I understand that if I need an evaporator coil heater, I'm out of luck as the part is unavailable. I noted it was located at the bottom of the coil assembly and about as far away from the ice build up as it could be. I hope that indicates it is still functional.

Have I got it covered or can I/should I also consider sealing off the opening that appeared to be the entry point for the moist air to the backside of the panel?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Also, since this model used "Ref 12" refrigerant, if it comes down to needing a recharge, it's a conversion to a newer system, (or a new refrig) yes? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2010 3:05:46 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts re: could not find SN00 following is for SW00
Unit replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ET20GMXSW00 | AppliancePartsPros.com
[COLOR="Blue"]
To overkill on the solution, I intend to replace the defrost timer, defrost thermostat and the seals on both refrigerator and freezer doors.[/COLOR]
I would not put any parts into it till you can get it cooling as this may be just
throwing money away.

[COLOR="Blue"]Defrost heater. I noted it was located at the bottom of the coil assembly and about as far away from the ice build up as it could be. I hope that indicates it is still functional.[/COLOR]
Only way to tell if it is OK is to force a defrost cycle and if it does not come on, unplug the unit, unplug the heater and check it with a meter.
In any case I would not worry about that just yet.

[COLOR="Blue"]Have I got it covered or can I/should I also consider sealing off the opening that appeared to be the entry point for the moist air to the backside of the panel?[/COLOR]
Don't worry about it yet.

[COLOR="Blue"]Any other advice would be appreciated. Also, since this model used "Ref 12" refrigerant, if it comes down to needing a recharge, it's a conversion to a newer system, (or a new refrig) yes?[/COLOR]
Once the evaporator coils are defrosted the unit should run OK till they again ice over again, if this is a defrost problem.
Sounds like you have other issues.
I am assuming that the compressor is running OK.
Let it run for a couple hours and then check the coils.
They should have a fairly even frost build up on them.
If not, if it is patchy of just in one area it is an indication of low freon.
Probably best to put the dollars into a new unit.
You need a pro to recharge the freon and it will not be cheap.
Also it makes no sense to re-fill it till the leak is found.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply