Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ssanders32  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:29:17 AM(UTC)
ssanders32

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool SxS not getting cold enough. We noticed on Sunday that our ice maker was completely out of ice which is an anomaly for our household. Typically our ice bucket is completely full. We then noticed that the gogurt tubes that we put on the top shelf of the freezer weren't freezing even though they had been in the freezer for over 24hours.

I started by cleaning the coils under the fridge and hoped that this would help. The fan underneath was running. After cleaning the coils we gave the fridge about 24hours and it still wasn't cold enough. Yesterday I bought a refrigerator thermometer and the freezer section was only around 32* F. Nothing previously frozen was thawing out. Yesterday after work I pulled the fridge away from the wall and cleaned out more dust and junk from the back after removing the cardboard section. I found that the compressor was warm and the fan was not on. I tried adjusting the freezer temp gauge and could not get the compressor or fan to turn on. My next step was to unplug the freezer and wait about 30 seconds and plug it back in. The thermostat is set to Coldest at this point. Compressor and fan immediately turn on. Wait about an hour and find that the freezer has cooled to around 18* F. Freezer is currently staying at around this temp but from what I read the freezer should be around 0* F. The Compressor and fan were on this morning as indicated by air flow and the hum of the compressor. My guess is that the Cold Control Thermostat needs to be replaced. Is there anything else I should check before replacing the thermostat or could it be something else.

This is the first issue we have had with this fridge that is about 8 years old.

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.