Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andrewsplatt  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 10:09:48 AM(UTC)
andrewsplatt

Groups: Registered

I have a Frigidaire electric dryer that has a problem starting. If I simply turn the start knob, nothing happens. A slight hum from the timer but no action. However, if i open the top access lid and give the drum a nudge while turning the start knob, it functions perfectly fine. If I stop the drum by opening the door and attempt to restart it within a few seconds of it stopping, it will run on its own. However, if I wait longer than a minute or two, I again have to give it a push start. I read this could be related to the capacitor, but I have checked with several parts distributors, all say there is no replacement capacitor. So... is this just a motor then that I need to replace? Thanks in advance
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Express Repair  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 12:22:47 PM(UTC)
Express Repair

Hello,

One of the most common reasons for that problem is that the plug was broken, please check the plug but be careful with the electric circuit. If you are not sure what you are doing call a professional.

Another reason could be a defected fuse in the machine itself.
Make sure the door is closed since the machine won't turn on.

You can read more about common dryer issues
ThatGuy  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 12:56:25 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I'm not sire what this "express repair" is babbling about, but they are not even close'

Its not the cord, because you have power.

Its not the fuse, because Duh, you have power.

I think you are on the right track. It probably is the motor. Its possible the rear bearing and idler pulley are so sticky that they would make it hard to start, but they would also make it hard for it to run and that would overheat the motor causing it to shut down in the middle of a cycle.

You could also have a bunch of lint stuck in the start switch on the motor, but most likely is a start switch that is going bad. And the start switch is part of the motor.

Frigidaire 131560100 Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com
andrewsplatt  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 1:31:47 PM(UTC)
andrewsplatt

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sire what this "express repair" is babbling about, but they are not even close'

You could also have a bunch of lint stuck in the start switch on the motor, but most likely is a start switch that is going bad. And the start switch is part of the motor.

Frigidaire 131560100 Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com

I have found the Start Switch replacement part for like 20.00. The motor is about 100.00. I don't think the motor comes with the switch. The switch actually works. In fact, when engaged you can hear the timer hummmmm... Just no drum spinning. Unless of course you do this within a minute of the unit turning off. Then the switch works no problem. Still thinking it is a coiling in the motor.... maybe
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 10:39:14 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I'm not talking about the push button switch on the control panel, I'm talking about the switch that is actually part of the motor. It is called a start switch because it starts the motor using the "start" winding, then once the motor is spinning fast enough it switches to the "run" winding.

It can stick in "run" mode and the motor will just hum because it needs the extra boost from the "start" winding to turn over so it will run. The switch is centrifugal and it can stick or go bad. It has moving parts and springs in it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply