Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skysentinel  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 9:05:05 AM(UTC)
skysentinel

Groups: Registered

Hello,

One of the three plastic baffles mounted on the inner basket has fallen off. Apparently, the retaining screw came loose, then several of the plastic retainer tabs on the opposite end of the screw subsequently broke away. It appears to me that to replace these baffles, I need to gain access to the outside of the inner basket. (basket removal)

Now my questions: First, can I remove the inner basket from the rear of the machine by removing only the rear outer basket, motor, etc.?

Second, should I install a new tub gasket after separating the rear half from the front half of the outer basket?

Thank you in advance for your input. As soon as you respond, I will order the appropriate parts.

-- Lynn:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Pegi  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 1:29:55 PM(UTC)
Pegi

Groups: Senior Expert

See if this repair manual helps..... ;)
skysentinel  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 2:35:12 PM(UTC)
skysentinel

Hi Pegi,

Thank you for responding. Actually, I already have that manual. It only addresses the procedure for removing the whole basket assembly.

It does describe the procedure for separating the front and rear outer basket halves after the whole assembly is removed, but makes no mention or recommendation regarding replacement of the gasket.

It seems as though it should not be necessary to remove the front outer basket just to get to the inner basket, but that's what I would like to know before proceeding with repairs.

Are there any other resources that would be helpful in addressing my specific questions?

Thanks,

-- Lynn
dland  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2007 9:28:20 PM(UTC)
dland

Lynn "skysentinel",

If you have not already finished this repair, here's good news: it's EASY. Go ahead and order those parts. Get the kit with all three baffles -- its likely that the plastic tabs on more than one of them have been damaged, because Whirlpool apparently never installed the retaining screws that hold the baffles in place. It appears to be a common problem.

1) Remove the three screws on the back of the washer for the lid.

2) Remove the lid.

3) A black rubber hose enters the outer drum top and center near the front. Gently remove it from the drum.

4) Through the resulting hole, you can reach the exact spot for inserting the retaining screws for the baffles.

5) One by one, replace the baffles (they drop into place, then need a little force to slide them forward into place) and rotate the inner drum so that the retaining screw hole is visible below the opening in the top of the outer drum.

6) (Without dropping the screws into the space between the drums like I did :) ), install the screws to retain the baffles.

7) Repeat for the other two.

8) Replace the hose and the lid and its screws and rest assured that you did something that even the Whirlpool assemblers didn't do: install the baffle retaining screws.

Dave Land
skysentinel  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 9:19:31 AM(UTC)
skysentinel

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information. I was all ready to crack open the outer basket to get to the screws. Interesting that WP didn't install them in the first place, but that might be a blessing in my case. I figured that a screw had worked loose, then the tabs broke loose, causing the baffle to fall off. At least, all I have floating around in between the baskets is a few little plastic tabs. I already order the baffle kit, along with the outer basket gasket, yesterday. I'll hang on to the gasket, as I'll probably need it sooner or later.

Again, thanks for the valuable information. :)

-- Lynn Taylor, Bloomington, Indiana
Leonard  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 6:34:20 AM(UTC)
Leonard

Lynn, et al.,
What is the part number for the new baffle replacement kit? AppliancePartsPro lists AP3769371, while what appears to be a sister site at ******** lists PT11308113. Neither of this look exactly like the baffle I have in my GHW9100LW2 washer. They look close, but the ones pictures taper to a much narrower profile that the one I have (which is almost rectangular by comparison).

I managed to snap one of mine off trying to snag an errant quarter. When I did so I also managed to jam the drum, so I am glad to see that the mounting screw was likely not installed (the mounting screw hole looks brand new). I freed up the drum by rotating it the other direction so all is well on that front.

If Lynn, Dave or Pegi could confirm the part number, or if Lynn can confirm that her baffle also looks different, I will be placing an order today. :)
Leonard  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 6:57:57 AM(UTC)
Leonard

Originally Posted by: Leonard Go to Quoted Post
Lynn, et al.,
What is the part number for the new baffle replacement kit? AppliancePartsPro lists AP3769371, while what appears to be a sister site at ******** lists PT11308113. Neither of this look exactly like the baffle I have in my GHW9100LW2 washer. They look close, but the ones pictures taper to a much narrower profile that the one I have (which is almost rectangular by comparison).
I called up Whirlpool and they gave the part number as 285976, which *does* resemble the part pictured on this site, but a search for that part number seems to indicate that it is a dryer baffle, not a washer baffle. Of course neither look anything like the Duet dryer baffles sitting right next to my washer. :(
skysentinel  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 10:53:56 AM(UTC)
skysentinel

Hi Leonard,

My pending order lists the baffle kit as follows:

"AP3769371 (285976) - Baffle kit, 3 pack"

Therefore, the part number that Whirlpool gave you seems to jive with the above information. As for part numbers listed on other sites, I observed different numbers, as well. I must assume that those are "in house" SKU or otherwise, part numbers.

As far as the differences in shape, I would have to guess that the replacement baffles are either a design improvement, or they are the type now being used in the new Duet washers. If you really want to find out if this is the case, then you might want to stop by a local dealer and take an up-close look at the current models.

By the way, I looked at the baffles in my dryer, and they are straight, much taller, and much thinner than the washer baffles.

I hope this helps.

-- Lynn
Leonard  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 11:03:26 AM(UTC)
Leonard

Originally Posted by: skysentinel Go to Quoted Post
I would have to guess that the replacement baffles are either a design improvement, or they are the type now being used in the new Duet washers. If you really want to find out if this is the case, then you might want to stop by a local dealer and take an up-close look at the current models.
Yeah, that is probably the case. Did yours look like the ones pictured on the site (tall one end, thin taper on the other) or more like mine (rectangular with a taller section ~30% of the way in)?
Quote:
By the way, I looked at the baffles in my dryer, and they are straight, much taller, and much thinner than the washer baffles.
Mine too, which definitely confused me when googling around for the Whirlpool part number and having them described as dryer baffles. :)

Thanks Lynn! I will go ahead and order mine so I can do some laundry.
skysentinel  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 11:50:32 AM(UTC)
skysentinel

Hi Leonard,

My baffles are shaped like yours, not like the ones in the pictorials.

Good luck!

-- Lynn
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply