Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RayD  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 8:13:40 PM(UTC)
RayD

Groups: Registered

The dryer has been shutting down before the end of cycle for the last week. It runs 20 -30 minutes, then stops. It restarts, then stops again. I suspect the motor thermal switch tripping out. The filter is always cleaned and the air flow exhaust seems perfect.:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:52:22 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the wiring diagram
http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%203401724.pdf

Sounds like the motor is overheating.

Could be a number of things:
1. The motor is toast
2. Drum is overloading the motor. Try rotating the drum in the correct direction by hand should rotate fairly easily. Perhaps try this on a couple other dryers to get a feel for it.
3. The motor is clogged with lint so it cannot coll properly
4. The start winding centrifugal switch is not removing the start winding from the circuit when the motor starts rotating. Usually this will cost you a new motor as the switches are not available as a separate item.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
RayD  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:23:18 AM(UTC)
RayD

From RayD:
Denman's tips were right on and extremely helpful. Although I was prepared to tear into the dryer motor, the problem is definitely #2 on the list - the drum is not turning freely. Although the Kitchen Aid Dryer looks new on the outside, it been extremely reliable for over 19 years old. I guess it is time for a replacement. Thank you so much.

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here is the wiring diagram
http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%203401724.pdf

Sounds like the motor is overheating.

Could be a number of things:
1. The motor is toast
2. Drum is overloading the motor. Try rotating the drum in the correct direction by hand should rotate fairly easily. Perhaps try this on a couple other dryers to get a feel for it.
3. The motor is clogged with lint so it cannot coll properly
4. The start winding centrifugal switch is not removing the start winding from the circuit when the motor starts rotating. Usually this will cost you a new motor as the switches are not available as a separate item.
davegroe  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:45:01 AM(UTC)
davegroe

I have a similar problem. Dryer is about 5 years old, a GE front load gas unit, model DCVH515GFOWW. It has worked without a problem until yesterday. It runs, then after a while it will stop running. The drum stops, but the front panel timer continues to count down. Then after about two or three or more minutes it will start spinning again. I took the top off and the front off and did not see anything. I read the codes and there was only one code E60 for the door switch. I used an ohm meter and the switch appears to be operating correctly. It did it again an hour ago for my wife. I will attempt to read the code when I get home tonight.

Any ideas what would cause the drum to stop spinning, then restart a few minutes later? I ran the T10 exhaust system check and it was find. In addition the dryer blose fine as well.

Thanks,

Dave
rwindis  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:08:45 AM(UTC)
rwindis

I have the exact same problem however in addition yeasterday i replaced the motor thining it was over heating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply