Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
davidlubb Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:44:16 PM(UTC)

Well it looks like I have a bad defrost thermometer. I'll have to check out the thermistors when I replace the defrost thermometer.
applianceman Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 7:14:39 AM(UTC)

The defrost thermostats on these refrigerators give very little trouble mostly because they are very high temperature like 140 degrees so they never cut on and off. The only reason they are there is for a safety back up. You can check for continuity across it. There is picture on the page below, if your thermostat looks like that replace it.

The little white thermistor at the top of the coils controls the defrost time it could be bad. Some of these refrigerator had thermistors that failed often there is a picture on the page below that will help identify this thermistor.

With all that being said the defrost heaters are the most common cause for this problem so if they check bad there is no need for anymore testing just replace the heaters. Hope this helps!

GE Refrigerator Repair Guide
davidlubb Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:10:50 AM(UTC)

I am going to manually defrost my freezer again. While I have the panel off and the coils exposed I am going to check for continuity on the defrost heater. Next is there a way to tell if the defrost thermostat is OK. I also read on this forum to follow some troubleshooting steps under the "sticky"
GE (GS &HPS), however I was unable to find this note.