Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
SweetSwede Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:20:24 AM(UTC)

Glad to hear that gives me hope! Will post my progress..
utzig Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:37:13 AM(UTC)

All is working good now. I have had no problems since replacing the board.

Hope this works to fix your fridge.
SweetSwede Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:42:39 AM(UTC)

Thanks for your help on this. I ended up ordering a new motherboard, it will be here soon.
The fridge has a brand new defrost heater & thermostat already, that did not fix the evap.coil frost problem--I too am 99% sure now that its the motherboard. After this experience I will be hard pressed to ever buy a GE appliance again.

How is yours doing? running ok now? Motherboard replacement fixed the problem?
utzig Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 10:50:08 AM(UTC)

Right. I had a bunch of ice because I bought coolers and bags of ice to keep food from going bad.

I am quite sure your problem is eithter the defrost heater (if you are getting frost build up on back wall of freezer.) or the control board.

Good luck.
SweetSwede Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 4:45:12 PM(UTC)

Thanks Al great advice...now gotta figure out how to make icewater with the freezer on the fritz! LOL :D
utzig Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 1:57:37 PM(UTC)

You can check them at the control board by unplugging and testing there.

However, I actually just cut the wires, took the thermisters off and put them in ice water. I then tested the resistance at approx. 32 degrees F. You want a resistance of around 16.7 ohms or so at 32 degrees.

Then I just spliced them back together.

Al
SweetSwede Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 8:17:57 AM(UTC)

Glad to hear you solved the problem with yours--and thx for the website info. I will likely have to purchase a new board also, still need to check the evaporator fan motor first. Did you check the resistance of your thermisters at the motherboard? Can you detail how you did that if so? What are the correct values if they are good? I assume you need to check for resistance and correct voltage.
utzig Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:20:28 PM(UTC)

New motherboard did fix the problem.
SweetSwede Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:21:35 PM(UTC)

Agreed I am not happy with GE products at this point either. Do we really need a motherboard to run a refrigerator? The old equipment seemed pretty bulletproof IMO.

Keep me posted on whether or not your motherboard install successfully solves the problem. I'll be checking mine for the burnt resistors you noticed. Good Luck! I hope you fixed it!
utzig Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:28:40 PM(UTC)

I talked with GE a couple days ago, and they did not mention a recall to me.

I did see something on that but it was from years ago and I think the time is up for it.

I just bought a house and this fridge was here. It had sat dormant for a year. It worked for a couple days and then went down hill.

I will never buy another GE appliance after what O have learned the past few days.!!!