Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
cronaldallen Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 12:35:05 AM(UTC)

The motor is bad. The repair cost is more than the value of the washer. Going to buy a new one. Thank you for all of your help Eric. You are great and have so much knowledge -and- you are willing to help!

I really appreciate all that you did to help me determine the cause of my failure.

Thank you and hats off to you...

Ron
cronaldallen Posted: Monday, August 4, 2014 4:49:29 PM(UTC)

The timer arrived today, so I installed it, and it behaves exactly like it did with the old timer (it makes a buzzing sound - and the motor won't start). I will need to take the belt off and try to start it by hand so I can get some voltage measurements (in a spin cycle).

I will post the measurements after I get them.

I was really hoping that replacing the timer would fix it. It seemed to make sense, but now I am not sure what to think.
fairbank56 Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:46:40 AM(UTC)

Yes, that's a little odd. If you buy the timer from APP and it doesn't fix the problem, you may return it. Keep us posted.

Eric
cronaldallen Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:58:27 PM(UTC)

Thank you for your patience and your help in the troubleshooting!

I wonder why the timer would fail at the same time as my replacing the transmission. They don't seem to have a relationship with each other.

Anyways, thank you thank you thank you, Eric!
fairbank56 Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:34:43 AM(UTC)

Looks like you have a faulty timer.

GE WH12X1031 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
cronaldallen Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:02:11 AM(UTC)

You are right. Because I didn't have the spin basket in or the belt attached to the transmission, I guess it wasn't clear if it was agitating or spinning, then when I realize that the water was still in the tub, it was apparent that it must have been agitating.

Here are the new readings with the motor spinning during a spin cycle, measuring to ground:

Hot
Red / Black - to Timer 115.8 VAC
Yellow / Black - Timer to Pressure Switch 115.3 VAC
Brown - Pressure Switch to Timer 115.2 VAC
Dark Blue - Timer to Motor 23.42 VAC
Red - Timer to Capacitor 23.7 VAC
Red - Capacitor to Motor 24.8 VAC

Neutral
White / Red - to Lid Switch 5.43 VAC
Orange - Lid Switch to Motor 6.51 VAC
Yellow - Motor 7.99 VAC
Violet / White - Motor 7.94 VAC

Sorry for the erroneous readings before. I really do appreciate your helping me on this.

Looking at these readings, I want to jump to the conclusion that I am losing my voltage inside of the timer (between brown and dark blue), but I see that there are three nodes at that point (M6 at the motor, R16 before the capacitor, and R21 before the motor switch(?)), any of which could possibly have a role in this?

Thank you again for helping me on this.

Ron
fairbank56 Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:19:05 AM(UTC)

If the tub has enough water in it, the pressure switch is going to be in the other position making yellow/black to violet, not yellow/black to brown. Did you have the washer in spin mode or agitation? Feel like we are getting nowhere. I won't be around the rest of the day but will check back in tonight.

Eric
cronaldallen Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:40:43 AM(UTC)

With the motor running, I took these measurements to ground:

Hot
Red / Black to Timer 116.4 VAC
Yellow / Black Timer to Pressure Switch 115.6 VAC
Brown Pressure Switch to Timer 5.8 VAC
Red Timer to Capacitor / Motor 7.69 VAC

Neutral
White / Red to Lid Switch 4.79 VAC
Orange Lid Switch to Motor 5.31 VAC
Yellow from Motor 7.21 VAC
Violet / White 20.75 VAC

So I see a problem at the pressure switch if the brown wire is supposed to be returning the voltage sent by the yellow / black wire when the switch is made. Since the tub still had water in it, after I was finished taking my measurements, I disconnected the power, and read the resistance across the pressure switch (yellow / black to brown) and I read 1091 ohms.

When I look at the measurements on the neutral side, I am not sure what it is telling me.

Looking at the diagram, there were a couple of places that it wasn't too clear (to me) on the wire color ( like coming from the timer bus a wire comes out, then splits, one side going to R16, and the other side going to M6 - in which case I got the measurement on the red wire going to the capacitor). That is why I included with my measurements, the location that I took my reading. If there are any that I didn't read at the correct location, let me know which ones, and I will take new measurements.

Again, I really appreciate your helping me with this.

Thanks,

Ron
fairbank56 Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 10:56:49 AM(UTC)

Yes, the motor should be spinning. A motor that is powered but will not start rotating draws very high current. That's not good for the motor nor for the wiring and switch contacts that supply that current. The thermal overload switch must be closed, otherwise there is no current flow at all. We must check voltages with the washer under load, i.e. running normally.

Eric
cronaldallen Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 10:00:46 AM(UTC)

Ok, I will do this tonight when I get back home. Thanks again for your help on this. Just for clarification, does the motor actually have to be spinning, or does it just have to be asked to start, and with respect to the thermal protection, does that need to be closed when I am taking my measurements?