Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Bjy151 Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:05:30 PM(UTC)

I got this microwave from a person who had it 2 years, they had heard it would cost $250+ to get fixed from a sears repairman, so they bought new and gave it to me to try and fix. The microwaves's light, timer, fan, etc. would work just fine but anytime start was pressed, it would trip their breaker. I was hoping for a quick fix, tested the capacitor (which was holding no power when i removed it.) It came out .940, rated at .900 uF, so its good. Had an open in both directions on Diode, ordered new diode from appliancespartspros, showed up next day, tested it right out of package, open both directions. Put microwave back together anyways, tried to run it, seemed like it was working, put in a cup of water for 2 minutes... cold. Opened it back up, no voltage on capacitor, blown fuse in microwave that wasn't blown before.
Got back on here, found the Q&A for the magnetron and found all the info for resistances I should be getting on it, the transformer, and the diode.
Magnetron: 0 ohms says it should be 1 ohm.
Transformer: 0 ohms primary should be 450 ohms, open secondary should be 80 ohms.
Filament transformer: don't know what this is, should be 100 ohms.
Diode (new and old): Open in both directions.
Before I spend around $200 I want to make sure I am not missing anything. Looking for opinions and help, also an answer to why new diode, right out of the package is not getting the correct readings.

I have some electronic repair experience, I took about 75 credits hours into an electronics engineering degree before switching to electrical and getting an associates in electrical technology. I am currently working for a large manufacturer as an electrical/electronic controls programmer, where most anything that breaks just gets replaced, might say I am used to throwing parts at a problem to fix it, just not out of my own pocket.

Monte