Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Junw Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:59:01 PM(UTC)

Dear Denman,

I finally had the control board replaced with the help of a local professional. And all the problems have been resolved.

Although I did not finish the job on my own, I was very close to it. I should say every step you told me was right. I very much appreciated your time and patience in helping locate the problem.

I could have saved some money if I had kept going with the help from you. But what I've learned from you will certainly be sueful for me in future. Thank you again:)
denman Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:12:18 PM(UTC)

Looks to me that it is in a box under the unit by the condenser fan but I am not sure about this.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Junw Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 9:24:31 AM(UTC)

Yes, it should be 2313177. Sorry for the typo.

Where is it located? In the back close to the compressor/condenser or in the front but behind the panel in the fresh food compartment?
denman Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:16:14 AM(UTC)

The board you want is Item 19.
You gave 2323177 as the part number but it should be 2313177.

Part number: AP3859538
Junw Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:23:24 AM(UTC)

What is the part#? where is it?

My model#10656693501 (Kenmore). In the attachment I have part #2313178 (Control Board Assembly) (#6) in the picture on the left upper corner and 2323177 (Electronic Control) (#19) on the right upper corner. Thanks.
denman Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:52:24 PM(UTC)

[COLOR="Blue"]Do you think I might not have done correcctly in testing the thermistor or have missed something?[/COLOR]
I do not know.

yes if the thermistor is bad or not in the correct position it will cause temperature control problems.

It sounds like your thermistor is OK so the control board is probably bad.
Junw Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2013 8:02:01 AM(UTC)

Adjustment of the temperature did not make any change. The compressor still keeps running and freezer is too cold.

Running Steps 1 and 2 based on your tech sheet. Both show "1". Checked resistance of the thermistor: about 2.5~2.7 ohms at 80F+.

The tech sheet from another source says defective thermistor is the possible cause of a freezer being too cold.

Do you think I might not have done correcctly in testing the thermistor or have missed something?
denman Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 2:36:16 AM(UTC)

[COLOR="Blue"]Is there anything wrong with the electronic control?[/COLOR]
Yes it is a possibility.

[COLOR="Blue"]How to diagnose it or test it?[/COLOR]
Try running the diagnostics that I included as an attachment in an earlier post.
The thermistor tests are important.
You could also check them with a meter.

[COLOR="Blue"]
Or, can I simply adjust the temperature on the control panel display to fix the problem?[/COLOR]
This is what I would do first to see if it will start regulating the temperatuer and start cycling as it normally should.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Which one could cause the compressor constantly running?[/COLOR]
The control board is under the unit in the machine compartment.Go to the Sears parts site and look in the Unit Pars section. The board is marked as Item 19.
Sears does not share it's part breakdown diagrams with other vendors so you cannot see the breakdown in AppliancePartsPros.
Junw Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:41:52 PM(UTC)

The control is set at 2F for Freezer and 38F for fresh food compartment.
A thermometer was placed in the freezer for about an hour and showed the temperature is about -8F. Apparently it is too low.

Is there anything wrong with the electronic control? How to diagnose it or test it? Or, can I simply adjust the temperature on the control panel display to fix the problem?

I guess there might be three control boards in the refrigerator - one behind ice maker, one behind ice maker sensor in the freezer and one behind the control panel display in the fridge. Which one could cause the compressor constantly running?
denman Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:27:17 AM(UTC)

If the condenser/compressor fan is running then the compressor should be running as they are wired in parallel.

Check the freezer temperature. It should be between 0 and 5 degrees F.
If it is lower than that could be why the compressor is running all the time re: it is trying to reach a set point temperature but since that temperature is too low it cannot get there.
This type of problem is related to temperature control.

Remove the cover inside the freezer and check the evaporator coils.
They should have a fairly even coating of frost.
If therer is frost in only one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then you have a sealed system problem.
This will ber an expensive repair as you need a pro.
Be sure that the compressor has run for at least an hour otherwise you may come to the wrong conclusion.