Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
wgfwli Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 4:34:39 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the reply. The display is flourescent. My wife did a self clean on the oven and the lights got even dimmer. Now I need to determine how to get access to the module. And if it requires pulling the oven out from the wall mount.
denman Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:43:52 AM(UTC)

It may be possible.
See the below thread about this problem on Thermador ovens.
http://forum.appliancepartspros...ml?highlight=dim+display

I did look up your display and it does look like a fluorescent display but I am not 100% sure of this.
Changing the capacitors will not fix the problem if it is a LED display.

Basically what is happening is that the electrolytic capacitors are leaking/aging and can no longer hold/develop enough voltage to drive the display.
This is the most common cause but it could be something else so it is a bit of a gamble.

I cannot tell you which capacitor is the problem as schematics for the board are not available.

You will have to remove the timer so make sure to mark/document which wire goes where.

Then the timer must be opened. One side clips into the plastic case and the other side also clips in but is connected by bare wires to the display so it opens like a book.

You will need soldering experience to remove and replace the capacitors.
Also you must note the polarity of the capacitors so the replacements are installed the same.

Another possibility is to Google "appliance timer control repair" and send the board to a repair company.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
wgfwli Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 5:16:27 PM(UTC)

27 inch GE wall oven - digital panel control lights getting very dim. Can this be repaired other than replacing the $358 panel?