Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
richappy Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:37:54 AM(UTC)

You have an Amana refrigerator that is notorious for evaporator and tubing leaks. Your fridg is probably only worth $ 150 on the open market, might want to rethink getting it fixed.
richappy Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:58:00 AM(UTC)

You are welcome.
SteveDB Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 5:16:00 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Remove the back panel and put a portable fan there to cool the condenser and compressor, see if that fixes the problem, you might have a bad condenser motor.

Ok, now you're just trying to scare me.... :rolleyes:
I called a local appliance shop today, and they confirmed what you said about the compressor failing (doing the doctor thing-- getting multiple opinions, based on symptoms), based on the discussion you and I have had.

My father in law also reminded me this evening that we were told when we bought it that the compressors only last 7 years on these things. grrr....
I'd forgotten. Of course, not liking the idea of spending 1400 every 7 years helped me forget....

I guess it's time for a replacement compressor. Still less than a new one.
Thank you for your time, and willingness to help on this. I really appreciate it.
Best.
richappy Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 12:56:03 AM(UTC)

Remove the back panel and put a portable fan there to cool the condenser and compressor, see if that fixes the problem, you might have a bad condenser motor.
SteveDB Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:01:18 PM(UTC)

They recommend a average temperature of 40 degrees in the fridg to preserve food. You can put a cheap digital meter in there that will sense and store the high and low temperatures, or you can just see if your milk spoils after a relatively short period of time!
Another thing, compressors will be hard starting during high temperature conditions, so you could cool the compressor and condenser with a portable fan, just might work.

hi.
Ok, what kinds of temps?
While it's in the low 90's, upper 80's now, we keep the house at 70-80 degrees.
The location of the freddie is on the west side of the house, but we have 6 inch walls, and good insulation-- and the house is only 11 years old.
Again, thanks for your time. I appreciate it.
richappy Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:57:09 PM(UTC)

They recommend a average temperature of 40 degrees in the fridg to preserve food. You can put a cheap digital meter in there that will sense and store the high and low temperatures, or you can just see if your milk spoils after a relatively short period of time!
Another thing, compressors will be hard starting during high temperature conditions, so you could cool the compressor and condenser with a portable fan, just might work.
SteveDB Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:41:23 PM(UTC)

Ok.
This of course is not what I want to hear.
What else can I do to resolve this?
A replacement is not in the budget. Our last Freddie was 5-10 yrs old in 1977, and we replaced it with this one in 2004.
richappy Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:13:15 PM(UTC)

Ok, seems like there is no refrigerant leak, and when the compressor runs, it's performing "normally", and will probably not waste a lot of energy, ie, good for a beer fridg. but not a primary one, could not trust it to preserve food.
SteveDB Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:30:46 AM(UTC)

I would measure the freezer temperature, in addition, you might have a refrigerant leak.

Hi.
Ok, yesterday afternoon, after I'd turned it back on from Friday night's crash, my father in law came out around 11:30 yesterday morning, and said the freezer temp was 21. I just dropped our cooking thermo. in and the ice is still frozen, looks crisp- no rounded corners, as though it was melting...
I'll post back in 10 minutes with the freezer temp.

As far as refrigerant leaks, I know that that stuff causes serious respiratory distress, and as my wife has asthma, I'd think we'd already noticed that just because of her.

Beyond her, how could I tell?

Ok, it's been about 15 minutes-- 0.00F degrees. Give or take a degree or two. It's a commercial meat thermo. so I'll assume it's accurate (my father in law is a retired chef, and kept all his "tools.").
richappy Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:49:26 AM(UTC)

I would measure the freezer temperature, in addition, you might have a refrigerant leak.