Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
bchristal Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:54:30 PM(UTC)

Solder question: My brother soldered the previous connections. He had some sort of special solder. Can I use plain old solder from Home Depot, the kind for copper plumbing pipes? Also, he used acetylene, can I use map gas or propane?

Thanks
v2k04 Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:01:40 PM(UTC)

You unsolder the suction line and cap tube remove drier cuz you're gonna replace it anyway With the process tube adaptor it's a fitting you put on the tubing with a temporary valve that will allow you to put your gages or hoses on it the the nitrogen with force the restriction through the cap tube Thats where the R-11 comes in it's a solvent that will flush any contaminants you do the same with the hi side then I solder it back together and flush again. They claim a R134A system should only be open for 20 minutes or less which is impossible but you hurry as fast as you can with out mistakes because R134A is so suseptible to moisture. But if your restriction is solder that dripped into the tube and plugged it it wont help that
bchristal Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:49:47 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: v2k04 Go to Quoted Post
if you have added that much freon and it still pulls into a deep vacuum it is definitely restricted you need to isolate the high and low sides and with a process tube adaptor You blow nitrogen through it and depending on how long you left the system open it could be contaminated with moisture. flush the system real good with Nu_Calgon R11 Flush, Then flush both sides with nitrogen I would replace the line drier and then put it in a vacuum for at least an hour. Then recharge it

Sorry to ask, but how do you "isolate the high and low sides and with a process tube adaptor?"

I only have compressed air. Will that ruin the system? I'll pull a vacuum after I finish.

I didn't check the evaporater for clogs before I installed it. Are they ever clogged from the factory?
bchristal Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:43:41 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: abadfish66 Go to Quoted Post
The cap tube is the real small diameter line that comes off the evap. Now that you added the entire can, what is your lowside pressure? Is the condender getting hot. Is the accumulator freezing?

Low side is -17. It was -20 before I added more freon.
The condensor is still cool.
The evaporator/accumulator is not getting cold.
v2k04 Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:33:36 AM(UTC)

if you have added that much freon and it still pulls into a deep vacuum it is definitely restricted you need to isolate the high and low sides and with a process tube adaptor You blow nitrogen through it and depending on how long you left the system open it could be contaminated with moisture. flush the system real good with Nu_Calgon R11 Flush, Then flush both sides with nitrogen I would replace the line drier and then put it in a vacuum for at least an hour. Then recharge it
abadfish66 Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:29:07 AM(UTC)

The cap tube is the real small diameter line that comes off the evap. Now that you added the entire can, what is your lowside pressure? Is the condender getting hot. Is the accumulator freezing?
bchristal Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:05:00 AM(UTC)

Yes, liquid freon comes out of the high side if I push the valve.
I've added an entire can of 134a (12 oz). Some has leaked out. It is supposed to hold 6.5 oz.
Where's the captube? The evaporator has 3 solder connections: to the compressor, to the condensor, and there's a small tube (hot gas).

I don't see how I could check for clogs without removing the evaporator.
abadfish66 Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:50:53 AM(UTC)

Charge it with the can upside down if your not already
abadfish66 Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:45:25 AM(UTC)

I would add it through the low side, that might be your problem. It's more dificult to add through the high side.
abadfish66 Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:44:09 AM(UTC)

push in the schrader valve on the high side valve, do you get high pressure coming out. Also do you have any idea how much 134 you added, you may not have enough. if you add more and the low side pressure starts coming up, it should be good, you just need to add the proper amount.