Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Gene Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:05:16 PM(UTC)

You have to check power to the auger motor and the freezer light switch as described in the previous posts. Also the motor or the auger in the ice bin can be frozen.

Here are the break down diagrams for the Whirlpool refrigerator Model GD5SHGXKB01

Gene.
SethA Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:37:16 PM(UTC)

So what should I check? I haven't taken it apart yet, and don't know what to test first with my type of fridge.
Gene Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:46:51 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: SethA Go to Quoted Post
...Can just a cheapy RadioShack multimeter do fine for the average amateur work we are talking about here?...

As long as it has ability to read voltage and resistance - yes.

The following article on our forum will explain in detail how to run a continuity test - http://forum.appliancepartspros...continuity-ohmmeter.html

Gene.
SethA Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:19:32 AM(UTC)

Hello,
Thread seems active, so I won't start a new one. I have basically the same issue with my Whirlpool "gd5shgxkb01". Motor won't turn when I try to dispense, and when I depress the arm, the flap opens, but all I hear is the slow ratcheting of the flap closing when I release the arm.

I gather from reading the above, you will tell me where to do some testing of voltage and so forth, so let me also ask this question. Can just a cheapy RadioShack multimeter do fine for the average amateur work we are talking about here? I will need to get one, and I suppose it is worth the investment if it saves me buying a motor if just the microswitch is bad.

Thanks! My wife has put me on notice to fix it or pay someone to come fixt it :-)
Gene Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:42:32 PM(UTC)

schaco,

Most likely the problem is a bad main control board (on the back of the refrigerator) because the dispenser operates by this board.

- The part number for the main control board is AP4297272

Gene.
schaco Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:44:40 PM(UTC)

I'm having a similar problem. My water dispenser is working (with 3 second delay). Machine is making ice. When I press the lever no ice dispenses, no noise, dispenser door does not open. Green light inside the freezer is on, not blinking. Model # PSC23SGRC.
Gene Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:38:42 PM(UTC)

Mike,

You did everything right and, I believe, you fix it. Good job.

Gene.
m218perez Posted: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:16:00 AM(UTC)

Gene,

As I grabbed the auger motor by the fork today I noticed that it turned in my hand, before and when I removed the motor from the freezer the other day I could not turn it. I plugged it back in to the freezer and it now works! I think it was frozen.
The week before it stopped working I turned the freezer to the coldest setting because I had stocked it with 50 lbs of Dorado fillets, the day of the party my wife wanted a large amount of crushed ice and I used the auger motor for at least 10 minutes strait. I think I heated-up the auger motor, which melted any frost around the motor, then the water froze the motor to the point were it wouldn't turn; pulling the motor out and letting it thaw may have allowed it to turn freely again.

I am hoping this solves the problem, if not I will send you an email. Thank you for directing me through the trouble shooting process,

Mike.
Gene Posted: Monday, November 3, 2008 8:36:41 PM(UTC)

Hi Joe,

Did you check for power to the auger motor? Possible the problem is a bad main control board on the back of the fridge.

- The part number for the main control board is AP4297272

Gene.
Gene Posted: Monday, November 3, 2008 8:30:55 PM(UTC)

Looks like the solenoid is fine.

Gene.